Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How to use a bee escape???  (Read 2727 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
How to use a bee escape???
« on: June 17, 2007, 01:51:30 pm »
I just this morning placed a bee escape on the bottom of 2 honey supers on my one and only strong hive. I plan on extracting the honey this Tuesday. (This is a porter style bee escape from Sacramento Bee Store)

My question is - Is 2 days wait ok to remove the bees from the super. Is it to long??? I have a few ants going and coming on the hive but nothing major. Will the ants take advantage of the fact that the bees are gone from the honey supers???

This will be very exciting for me and will help cheer me up since you all probably know that I am losing my other hive.

Thanks for the help
Annette

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Re: How to use a bee escape???
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:36:11 pm »
In the fall, the bee escapes work great.
Dont be suprised to see bees still there when you open it up.
I pulled 3 supers today and shook the bees off, then brushed off the remaining ones.
It worked, but it took some time. This is my first "spring" honey in 4 years.
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »
Thank you newbee for the reply,

I really am not to worried about the bees still being in the hive as I will do the same thing you did, but I was worried about the supers being left empty for 2 days if indeed they leave the supers.

appreciate the help
Annette

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 09:15:46 pm »
>This is a porter style bee escape from Sacramento Bee Store

I've never had any luck with porter bee escapes.  I've had good luck with the triangular ones like Brushy Mt and Betterbee sell.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:20:30 pm »
I have had the same results as Michael Bush I have a triagle from Brush Mountain also.I usually just shake and brush off the bees.Now I just take a good five gallon bucket with lid pull out frame cut comb out of frame drop in bucket put lid on go home crush and strain.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything