Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need a Suggestion  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Ocean

• House Bee
Need a Suggestion
« on: March 14, 2006, 01:38:49 pm »
Hey everyone me and my good friends are planning to plant many trees upstate New York.

One of my friends has alot of land which we want to start taking care off, now we are looking for a cheap nursery that sell their trees for cheap price, we are looking to purchase different kinds of trees

can you please recommend me some good sites that have cheap trees?

Only one i know is 4seasonsNurseries.com  and they are pretty cheap, but don't have too many different trees.

THank you very much...

and one more question did anyone here heard about a program where government will provide the trees and all the equipment for farmers, if they are willing to plant?

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
Need a Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 07:11:01 am »
i dont know the relative prices of trees but theres a place in pennsylvania called mussers forest (or something like that) and they sell trees.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Need a Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 02:51:42 pm »
I have an order coming from Lawyer's Nursery in Montana coming in two weeks. They have excellent customer service, but you will pay an extra 15% in shipping (which isn't terrible). They have a $250 minimum order, but if you have a lot of land, that isn't too hard to reach. I am planting about an acre or so. They have a large variety of species, sizes, age, and condition (plug, potted, bareroot). You can find just about anything you want there. The one problem you'll run into now is that your grade selection will not be as good as if you ordered last fall or winter, but they still have plenty to order.

I've called them several times amending my order since I originally placed it in October and they have always been extrememely helpful and friendly. I did have a substitution or two imposed on me, but that is bound to happen.

http://www.lawyernursery.com/
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline JWW

• New Bee
No on 4 seasons!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 03:54:14 pm »
I ordered several items from 4 seasons last year. When they came several items were "mush". They looked as if they had been packaged for quite sometime and were absolutely unplantable. The rest didn't look too good either but I did go ahead and plant them. I decided to contact them after I realized that the ones I planted were not going to make it. Elapsed time about two weeks. Their reply to me was to send back the packages and they would issue a refund. By that time I had thrown the packages away and when I told them that they said they would not be able to help me.

My recommendation would be to stay away from them!

I also believe that there are several mail order nurseries that use different names but have exactly the same catalogs. I have received some that the only difference was the name on them.
"Everybody has a story, take a moment to listen"

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Need a Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 07:53:02 am »
I would suggest a visit to http://www.gardenwatchdog.com

You can look up all of these companies and read people's reviews of them, both good and bad.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Tree program
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2006, 10:31:19 pm »
The program in Pennsylvania is the crep program. It was originally started I beleive to create migratory bird habitat but now is used on highly erodable farm land. You have to pay up front for the trees, stake them, put tubes over with bird nets and put a mulch cloth around the bottom. You also need to choose trees from their list although you can acquire them on your own.
    [/list:u]

Offline Ruben

• House Bee
Need a Suggestion
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 04:59:03 pm »
If you don'y mind starting them off small you can get them from the National Arbor Day Foundation for hardly anything. $10 to become a member and that comes with 11 trees and you can buy more extremely cheap :)