Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees not using part of entrance after removing feeder  (Read 1711 times)

Offline Stasonis

• Brood
Bees not using part of entrance after removing feeder
« on: July 22, 2012, 10:42:16 pm »
Hi there,

This is my first year beekeeping and I've just got one hive. Last week I pulled out the boardman feeder since most of the frames are filled out and they weren't really taking syrup from it anyways.  The problem I have is that the 2 frames on the bottom deep where the feeder was still have not been built out and I've noticed that the bees are still avoiding using the part of the opening where the feeder used to be.  Is it normal for bees to avoid building out the frames next to the feeder or not use that part of the entrance?  All other parts of the hive look strong so I'm not particularly worried, though I'd obviously like them to have it all built out and filled up before winter comes along.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline Richard

• New Bee
Re: Bees not using part of entrance after removing feeder
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:35 pm »
I’m a first year beekeeper also.  My bees favored the entrance side of the entrance reducer.  Even after removing it, they still weren't touching 3 frames on the other side. Frame # 1, 8,9,10 were completely empty.  I took out frame 10, slid all the frames to the right and reinserted it in # 1 location.  Basically just shifted everything 1 frame over.  After doing that, they began to work both side equally.  I wasn’t sure if it was the right thing to do at the time but it made sense.  I figured they’d forgive me if it wasn’t.

Richard

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 09:32:45 am »
same here guys....after pulling out the feeder bees just worked away from that area...i moved over towards middle the frames that they seemed to be neglecting...and so far it seems to be working for me...i went as far as to add a deep on top and move one brood frame up in middle and they have now built out 3 more combs on top

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:23:43 pm »
They will fill out eventually. Bees like to build up and down.   Put a super on top and they will move up as they store honey.  Give them time.   There may not be much coming in for them to build out for.   

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 02:25:25 pm »
excuse me....i went back in yesterday and found out they have built comb now in 8 frames and working on more...and i was thinking i was going in there too often...lol   

Offline ApalacheeRiverFarms

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »
Had the same problem last year... Moved the frames around and they finally started working the other frames.

anything