Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: GRR  (Read 4128 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
GRR
« on: September 18, 2008, 04:35:12 pm »
I am getting so frustrated right now.  The one part of the hive that I built out of good hardwood, warped, or compressed, or something.  Anyway, my SBB now has a gap on the back side.  So I figured no big deal... a little bondo would take care of that... so straightaway I applied the bondo to the wrong side of the sbb... so then I realize it, but it's too late, it's already cured... so I applied more to the correct side, and just figured I'd remove the stuff on the wrong side... so I'm sitting there trying to remove it and my hand slips and breaks some of the wires on the SBB!!  At this point, I'm darn near just throwing in the towel on it and starting over.  The thing is though, I wanted to get it done before this weekend so I could go pick up some bees from a local beek... Well that's most likely shot to hell now!!  I'm losing time fast here.  Not only that... my order from Dadant, STILL hasn't shipped!  It's been 3 days and it's still "processing".  How long does it take to grab some stuff off the shelves, throw it in a box, print a shipping label and put it in the mail?  So now it's looking like I'm not going to have that stuff this weekend either.  It just keeps getting better doesn't it?   :-x

Offline Nate

• House Bee
Re: GRR
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 04:40:32 pm »
"No reason to get your panties in a bunch"

breathe and relax, that's how it goes for us all sometime.  I wish you the best with your SBB, it should still be usable, the screen does not have to be flawless.  You could just replace the screen if it's that big of a deal.

"And that's the way the cookie crumbles" - Jim Carrie (Bruce Almighty)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 04:42:40 pm »
Replacing the screen will be nearly impossible, because I glued it between the peices of wood... so I'll have to break it apart, which could easily destroy it altogether.  I think my best hope for salvation of it at this point would be if i could solder it back together.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 05:17:50 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what happened but maybe you could just put another piece of screen over the other one. Or just leave as it is since its not real important to have the screen at all. many beekeepers have hives that have no bottom boards at all.
But knowing what a perfectionist you are SgtMaj I know my solution will not suit you.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 05:43:29 pm »
Throw the hive together without then put it in later. The bees aren't gonna care.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 08:53:40 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what happened but maybe you could just put another piece of screen over the other one. Or just leave as it is since its not real important to have the screen at all. many beekeepers have hives that have no bottom boards at all.
But knowing what a perfectionist you are SgtMaj I know my solution will not suit you.

Actually randy (and buzzbee)... in this case, that works for me... Thanks for the advise.  Now if I can only get the dadant order.  It still says processing.  I can only hope at this point that it's just because they don't update their order status on the website very often.

See, the goldenrod just started blooming this week, so I figure if I can get bees quick, they'll still have some natural resources at hand to get off to a good start.  Of course I will still have to feed them all winter.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2008, 09:08:11 pm »
So does anyone that's ordered from dadant before, know if they are prompt about updating their site with tracking info once the order has shipped?  It's been nearly a week and my order still says processing... but, I don't know if they are quick to update that or not.  They might be like JC Penny who emailed me with the tracking number for my last order, the day after I received the pants.  So I'm just curious at this point.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 09:37:14 pm »
I had a swarm move into a stack of equipment this spring.  There was NO bottom board at all.  The bees didn't care at all.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 09:40:58 pm »
So does anyone that's ordered from dadant before, know if they are prompt about updating their site with tracking info once the order has shipped?  It's been nearly a week and my order still says processing... but, I don't know if they are quick to update that or not.  They might be like JC Penny who emailed me with the tracking number for my last order, the day after I received the pants.  So I'm just curious at this point.
I use the phone and they send it the same day -  :lol: RDY-B

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 10:10:18 pm »
Guess I'll call them monday and see if it's shipped or what the holdup is.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 11:58:38 pm »
I believe when you order off the website it does take longer to process the order. Use the phone and it should be shipped same day if in stock. I use dadant as a primary source for supplies and never have had a problem.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2008, 12:46:59 am »
I usually call Dadant since web orders do take a little longer.  Or I just drive over to Hamilton and pick it up... :-D  Good luck on the SBB, some of my hives are a cobbled mess but as MB pointed out they really don't care.

David