Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fruitstand/ farm stand  (Read 4007 times)

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
fruitstand/ farm stand
« on: April 23, 2011, 07:22:05 am »
I would like to get back to the basics, growing my own vegetables, Poultry for eggs and meat and start a fruit stand in front of my home on a highway that is well traveled by hunters and tourists, what I wanted to know is if anyone else does it that is on this forum and if they do what are laws or anything I have to worry about for having a stand.

Offline Shanevrr

• Field Bee
Re: fruitstand/ farm stand
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 09:46:17 am »
im sure its regulated by your local health department, not to mention permits n things
www.Valleybeesupply.com
"A responsible beekeeper is a successful one"
Shane C.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 10:38:21 am »
yup, it very much depends on where you are.  i have a friend in another county and she has to jump through more hoops than i. 

since you live in the land of regulation, check carefully. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline dean0

• House Bee
    • My photovoltaic Website
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 10:43:37 am »
I know in Florida the current rules allow you to sell boiled peanuts and whole fruits and vegetable without a permit, pretty much anything else requires a state permit.  If you want to sell meat that you raise and slaughter yourself, it has to be done in a USDA inspected facility and the meat has to be stored and displayed are the correct temperature. To sell eggs, at a minimum, they must be washed which requires a triple compartment sink, a handwash sink and a mop sink, all with hot and cold running water.  Eggs that have been washed, sized and graded can be sold in cartons.  Eggs that have been wash but not sized or graded have to be sold in flats and must have a 7 inch by 7 inch placard/sign that reads "These eggs have not been graded as to quality and weight".  Eggs that have NOT been washed CANNOT be sold for human consumption. The eggs must be kept refrigerated.  No food is allowed to be prepared, processed or stored in a residence, it must all be done in or at a licensed facility. 

Good Luck!

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 08:18:55 pm »
thanks for the info deano, the meat would be just for me, but the eggs would be nice to sell and fruits and vegetables. I am guessing you have a little experience in it with all of that info.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 11:01:41 pm »
Each state is different, however there are several 'grey' areas within the dept of ag code that may allow you to sell your eggs without all the red tape. You are selling a product (non value added)on the same property from which it was produced. Here, a consumer can go to a farm and buy eggs and other commodities without any problems. If I were to try and sell retail off the farm, then I would be held to all the regulations mentioned above. I have a Georgia Egg Candlers license and a Poultry License that allows me to sell at places like flea markets, etc. (Eggs have to be refridgerated to approx 41 degrees) As of right now, Tennessee has no such licensing requirements.

Check this link out:

www.polyfacefarms.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:05:01 pm »
2 things.   It is cash income (2 thumbs up) and check with your homeowners policy to make sure it covers you.

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 02:53:43 am »
I actually have a friend that works in this area for our county ag. department, so I will call her and find out the rules and regulations.

anything