Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: stepping on toes  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
stepping on toes
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:42:06 pm »
i got a nice note from a guy today.  he suggested that i should be charging for my swarm/hive removal.  there are quite a few people listed in oregon, but i am the only one listed for my area.  i have gotten calls from all over and i'm sure that part of the reason is that i do it for free. 

there was nothing hostile in his note, but you know how it is when you read something and get a twitch from it.

anyone else have turf problems?  how do you handle them?  i don't want to run a business.  i just want to expand my little bee yard by a few hives. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Re: stepping on toes
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 08:56:17 pm »
You sensitive? Seriously, If I remember correctly, you only do "easy" removals. Additionally, I would imagine that after you get anough bees you will stop since its not abusiness. If you feel like an answer is needed, just say that. I'll stop when I get my apiary to 10, 12 or whatever number of hives you want. That your not in the "market" for long. Anyways, Its their problem. Free market, right?  As gas goes up, they wont travel far to do removals anyways. I am doing my second, and I am doing it for free for experience. I decide I would do three for free, after that, I charge. How much, i dont know yet. I want their gnetics primarily, especially from long standing feral hives.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:13:24 pm »
my twitch was not without reason.  we had a lovely chat back and forth.  he suggested that if i was taking all the low hanging swarms and leaving the tough stuff to others, i was not being fair.  well you know nothing ticks me off more quickly than someone thinking things ought to be 'fair'.  i was a good girl.  i didn't tell him what he could do with his low hanging swarm. 

anyway, i think things are ok.  i believe he had me pictured in a summer dress romping about with a butterfly net.  when i explained that i was only after a few hives for my hobby and the only jobs i turned down were those that i did not think i could do well, like the inside of homes, he seemed to settle.

:evil:  not sensitive, but intuitive as a matter of self preservation   ;)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 07:57:48 am »
Tell them they can do cutouts, charge whatever they want, and give the bees to you until your apiary is where you want it size wize. Best of both worlds.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 05:52:53 pm »
Cut outs are a lot of work, and not really a paying proposition of you don't get paid, since you can buy a package for $75.  For those who are charging, they already have a problem convincing people that they deserve to get paid.  Some people think they are doing the beekeeper a favor by letting them do the cut out and some have the audacity to ask for some honey in return.  I would guess he feels you're perpetuating a myth that he already has trouble dealing with.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 06:33:35 pm »
i guess i understand how he feels.  after much consideration, i have decided that how he feels is his problem.  as long as i am enjoying what i am doing and learning a few things as i go, i'll keep doing it. 

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 07:21:02 pm »
People and their egos. :-P

You were much nicer than I would have been.

You keep going. If they don't like it to bad.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 10:08:22 pm »
>after much consideration, i have decided that how he feels is his problem.

You are correct.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008, 12:45:46 am »
i guess i understand how he feels.  after much consideration, i have decided that how he feels is his problem.  as long as i am enjoying what i am doing and learning a few things as i go, i'll keep doing it. 

I agree, that it is his problem and he was trying to make his problem, your problem.

You are the queen of your castle, Kathy.

Very considerate btw of you to consider his side of the picture, I can tell you really went there and put yourself in his shoes.

Now give him back his shoes and let him be on his way.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008, 12:03:26 pm »
i believe he had me pictured in a summer dress romping about with a butterfly net. 

Well, Kathy, I still picture you as this, you have that child within that shines through and I love that.......we can still go back in time you know.  We all have that child within....beautiful and wonderful day in our great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 01:50:20 pm »
Hey Kathy, was it you that got a call to remove bees from some guy's little island?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 02:37:11 pm »
cindi, that would require reincarnation, not regression  :-)

jp, that was me.  that's why i don't put my name on the craigslist ad anymore.  just my phone number   :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 03:25:19 pm »
cindi, that would require reincarnation, not regression  :-)

jp, that was me.  that's why i don't put my name on the craigslist ad anymore.  just my phone number   :)

Yep, I remember that post. That was kinda creepy, almost.

...JP