Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Ulster Observation Hive  (Read 10033 times)

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
Ulster Observation Hive
« on: February 22, 2009, 05:44:24 pm »
Just finished my observation hive to use at my daughters school.  They are studying insects in May.  I pulled out my limited woodworking tools and built this from scratch.  It has a screened bottom that I can close off if I need to.  Just pull up one frame to observe and replace that frame with a frame feeder in the bottom and I'm ready to go.  I have covers for the glass that I want to paste more pictures for the kids to see more of what a hive looks like set up.  The covers just prop in place and can be passed around the room for the kids to see up close.  I will probably take some equipment to show and maybe even set up a hive body in the room with frames installed.  Any other ideas of what I could do?

Starting my 3rd year and still having a ball!

Offline Utah

• New Bee
Re: Ulster Observation Hive
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 12:13:06 am »
Nice observation hive. That is one large sheet of foundation, right? Can you explain more about how big it is and what is in the base? And where is the entrance?
Utah

Offline carolina bee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:25:09 pm »
This fellow in our club puts light blue dye in with the syrup and as the bees utilize the syrup in the stores you can see the comb start to have a blue tint. Then during his presentation he call them his carolina "tar heel "girls. Guess you could use orange for tenn. It's more than that though, It show the kids how the bees take nectar and place it in the hive in relationship to the other workers in the hive.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:36 pm »
Our local association as an Ulster OB hive. We use it when doing displays such as the Master Gardeners shindig or at the County Fair.  Draws a lot of interest.  We also sell honey provided by members with the club gettin a handling fee.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:09 pm »
Thanks, you've provided a lot of ideas that I can use this OH for.  Hope to put it to good use.

Mark

Offline hive101

• New Bee
    • Hive 101
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:18:37 am »
Not to necro a dead thread, but I am really interested in starting an OH and found good reviews on the Ulster hive.

Does anyone use the Ulster from Brushy Mountain? (I don't have the equipment to build by own.)

If so, please let me know on this thread, or via PM?  I have some questions about care, setup, etc.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess I'll post my questions here, just in case.

1.) Does the Ulster OH use medium frames or deeps?
2.) I read it has an internal feeding frame. In the event the one from Brushy (I really wish they had better photos) has an opaque feeding frame, can a clear feeding frame be constructed? This seems to make more sense, as you'd be able to easily tell when it needs re-filling.
3.) I don't have anywhere indoors I can keep this while still exposing the tube to the outside. Can an OH be kept outside?  I have a shady part of my backyard that would keep it out of direct sun. Any ideas here? Don't wanna set this up and then inadvertently bake my bees.
4.) How long can you keep the entrance closed if you wanted to set this hive up indoors for observation? I've read as many as 4 days. Is that practical?

Thanks in advance! Any advice on OH's is appreciated.
Martin @ Hive101.com

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 02:58:02 pm »
Okay, I have that hive from Brushy and will go look at it for you.
Okay, I'm back :-D

It takes deep frames- 4 in the bottom with a frame feeder and one in the ob window

The feeder is a medium yellow color

It has a screened bottom board with a slide out mite tray and wood doors that cover the windows when need be and several ventilation holes.
I read on a thread here once that you can leave these outside because its essentially a nuc but I have never used mine and have not looked into it yet, sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 05:14:06 pm »
Natalie is right.  It is a 5 frame NUC with the fifth frame being the one you put on display on top.  You hopefully are able to find a frame with the queen and put her on top for people to be able to see the queen, but not absolutely necessary.  Under the display frame is a hole with a queen excluder for the workers to go back and forth from top to bottom and keep the queen on top.  The feeder takes the place of the display frame you get from the bottom nuc.  You are able to keep the bees to show for 2-3 days at a time.  I guess you could fasten a hose to the entrance and make it a working observation hive, but it is made just to add frames from a bigger hive and show for short periods.  I made mine with deep frames, but I have heard of people making them with medium frames as well.  What ever you use in your main hives would be what I would use.  I think the deeps show more with the larger viewing area.  I will always have deep frames available from my hives as well as mediums.  I just decided to go with the deeps. This picture is with a pierco foundation frame.  This hive has never been used. After two or three days, the bees would need to be able to get out to relieve themselves.  I plan on using it at my daughters school next month for a bee talk.

Mark

Offline mherndon

• House Bee
  • New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 12:09:14 am »
Jon Nahakuelua,

I don't know how to get in touch with you.  I wasn't able to reply to the email BeeMaster forwarded to me. 

markherndon@comcast.net

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:34:02 am »
Just don't pick it up by the wood in the middle at the top to keep from bending over... bees will escape...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:26 am »
We had one that belonged to a friend of mine at the Blue Heron Eco-Fair this weekend - it was GREAT.  All the kids wanted to see the queen. 

It has the advantage of being light - essentially the weight plus a little more of a five frame nuc box since that is what it is.  The bees were relatively comfortable outdoors on a display table for four hours.  We sent them home just a little early because the bees started to look a little frantic - we thought they might be overheating and/or one bee kept dragging a dead bee all over the frame, trying to find a way to take her out.

Jay keeps it outdoors as a nuc all the time and just adds the top when it's time to take it on the road.

I want to own one but Brushy Mtn. is out of stock - I'm buying one when they are available.

Linda T in Atlanta

anything