Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: This weather won't make up its mind.  (Read 2169 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
This weather won't make up its mind.
« on: March 18, 2014, 11:47:29 am »
Just need to vent a little.  Is anyone else being fouled up be the constantly changing weather? During my days off I just can't seem to catch a break. I really need some warm sunny days.
Later,
Ray

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: This weather won't make up its mind.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 12:40:37 pm »
Sounds like the trials and tribulations of the week end warrior beekeeper.  I learned to work faster after work on those sunny days.  Helps me if I write down what needs done and detail how I am going to do it.  It would be so much nicer if weekends were always nice. 

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 12:46:45 pm »
Sorry RH,
I never complain about the rain. When I first bought my farm, the pond was full and we would get 4 inches in a couple of hours, 8" one afternoon. Then we went through a drought for 5 years. The pond went lower that the previous owners 20 year low mark. This year it is full again. The ground is real soggy and we get 2 to 3" of rain every week but the grass is starting to grow for my cows and we should get a good gallberry/palmetto/black gum bloom.
I am definitely not complaining. Looking good. The only thing is that I cannot work in the fields. even that isn't so bad. :)
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 02:34:49 pm »
Sounds like the trials and tribulations of the week end warrior beekeeper.  I learned to work faster after work on those sunny days.  Helps me if I write down what needs done and detail how I am going to do it.  It would be so much nicer if weekends were always nice. 

Oh yeah, 4 on, 4 off. I guess I could be just whining. I've been able to build equipment but unable to inspect hives and paint. That's all, I just want to get it done.

Sorry RH,
I never complain about the rain. When I first bought my farm, the pond was full and we would get 4 inches in a couple of hours, 8" one afternoon. Then we went through a drought for 5 years. The pond went lower that the previous owners 20 year low mark. This year it is full again. The ground is real soggy and we get 2 to 3" of rain every week but the grass is starting to grow for my cows and we should get a good gallberry/palmetto/black gum bloom.
I am definitely not complaining. Looking good. The only thing is that I cannot work in the fields. even that isn't so bad. :)
Jim

Jim,
From your perspective more rain is a good thing. You surely have more at stake than I. I'm just impatient.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 06:03:52 am »
Oh yeah, 4 on, 4 off.

I would think you would have a better chance with that schedule than those of us with a normal workweek.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 09:32:12 am »
Oh yeah, 4 on, 4 off.

I would think you would have a better chance with that schedule than those of us with a normal workweek.
Jim

That's how I see it too but, it's been like a crap shoot. And I've been coming up snake eyes. Today I'm off and it looks like the one day I'll be able to open them up. The next two rain.
Later,
Ray

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 09:45:05 am »
got a low of 29 one night and 33 the next this week down here.  you aren't going to get snow again are you?

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 10:02:37 am »
got a low of 29 one night and 33 the next this week down here.  you aren't going to get snow again are you?

Nothing like that in the forecast. Who knows.
Later,
Ray

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 10:19:18 am »
we should get a good gallberry/palmetto/black gum bloom.
Jim

I hear different things saw. Is black gum tupelo?
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:24:27 am »
Jim

I see a search tells me only the white tupelo yields table grade.
John 3:16

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 12:45:07 pm »
Jim

Yes, it is all the same family tree. Not sure there is any difference other than what we call it. It grows in the swamps mostly.
Jim
Ben Franklin