Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: pee in the milk jug  (Read 24551 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
pee in the milk jug
« on: January 27, 2008, 07:24:48 pm »
we had about 6 in of snow by this AM.  as i was standing out on the back deck enjoying the view and indulging in my favorite habit, a coyote came across the property.  i have heard them the last few nights, so i knew they were close.  i just about broke my neck chasing after the thing, waving my arms and yelling at it.  came in with snow in my shoes and wet pant legs.

i presented my husband with a milk jug and a fresh cup of coffee with instructions to fill the jug and go "mark" the area around the barn.  he's been such a good boy.  he's up there marking now :-).

any of you guys use this method of discouraging predators??
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: pee in the milk jug
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 07:56:37 pm »
Soooooooooooo that is the reason that I never see any predators around my shop. Go figure.

Steve       
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 09:13:27 pm »
Kathy that is some funny stuff! Actually, I pee in deer scrapes. Bucks think you're another buck and get mad and will defend the area. Never heard of pee chasing off predators, let us know how ya'll make out with that pee detractant. :-D

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 09:53:46 pm »
Absolutely, hubby and youngest son were doing their duty all last summer but not for predators, for wabbits so they wouldn't eat my garden.  It works!  Especially male urine.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 10:00:37 pm »
yup, it has to be male.

heard a story about an old man that would save it in a bucket.  when he had enough, he'd put on his rain slicker and get an old ladle.  he'd go out and toss pee up the trunk of trees to scare off bears.  he said that if the pee was high, the bears would thing a really big bear had done the job and would stay away :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 12:12:25 am »
Kathy, you (and the others too) are making me laugh my guts out!!!  Talk about the games people play.  You should see our place in the summertime with all the boys that run around here.  I don't think any of them hit the inside toilets (unless they are right there).  Behind our pool in the bush behind one of my great big rhododendrons seems to be the pee place for kids.  It is excellent weed control.  I get a real kick out of watching them all streak out of the pool, hit the bush and then streak back into the pool.  It is wonderful to live on acreage, that when you gotta go, there are a hundred little places to hide and seek.

Good Kathy, I bet your Husband did a great job, did you keep refilling his cup for him to keep it streaming?  Hee, hee.  So, what is your favourite habit when you gaze off into the wild blue yonder?  Probably the same as my favourite habit, when I sit on my porch in the morning, listening to things -- and watching the morning skies.  One day, that will be gone by the wayside too.  Have an awesome day, Cindi

Urine is some powerful stuff for warding off creatures of the world.  I liked the one where he put the pee up really high on the trunk of the tree to make the bear think it was a really tall bear, cool stories, love them all.  C
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 12:26:32 am »
So, what is your favorite habit when you gaze off into the wild blue yonder? 

i was enjoying that special silence that comes with snow......but i was also enjoying a nice smoke  :-)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2008, 12:49:00 am »
Kathy, ooops, uh huh  ;) :)  Me too.  Beautiful night and day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2008, 12:55:41 am »
Ok, now you've done it, got me started on a crusade, for your own good!!!

Quit now!!!........JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2008, 09:56:57 am »
Hmmm...I had raccoons the last few years in my little corn patch in the suburbs.  So finally this last summer I took matters into my own hands.  Yup, I marked my territory around the patch.  And encouraged my boys to mark the territory too (they love peeing outdoors and will never pass up the chance).

We didn't have a problem with raccoons.  Coincidence?  I also sprayed the corn down with home-made pepper spray...that might have done something too.
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2008, 10:34:56 am »
JP, that guy in the picture looks like Doc from Back to the Future with Michael J. Fox.  I watched that show recently, man was it good to revisit such an old movie.  Beautiful and wonderful day,  :) :) :)  Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 11:03:23 am »
heard a story about an old man that would save it in a bucket.  when he had enough, he'd put on his rain slicker and get an old ladle.  he'd go out and toss pee up the trunk of trees to scare off bears.  he said that if the pee was high, the bears would thing a really big bear had done the job and would stay away :-)

Bears scratch and mark their territories as high as possible. Makes other bears think they are bigger. Dogs do it too by lifting leg. Scare the other dogs in the neighborhood, lift your dog up high!

My problem isnt rabbits or deer, but one very large groundhog, and chipmunks. The chipmunks drive me crazy because they eat one piece of a veggie, then go onto another ruining a whole row. If they just ate one or two, I wouldn't care . The ground hogs days are numbered as i just got some small game tips for the bow. I hit him w/ a practice field tip and it just bounced off his neck area last year.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2008, 02:53:47 pm »
JP, that guy in the picture looks like Doc from Back to the Future with Michael J. Fox.  I watched that show recently, man was it good to revisit such an old movie.  Beautiful and wonderful day,  :) :) :)  Cindi

Well, it's clear you're from Canada Cindi. "That guy" is Uncle Sam, the historic and traditional recruiter for the US Armed Forces. His best known phrase is, "I want you for the US Army". The stop smoking phrase is a play on it.

Don't feel too bad, I am a transplanted canuk (and a member of the US Army). I like to make it my job to educate canuks about US culture. :-D
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2008, 04:18:17 pm »
JP, i like to smoke.  i have given up most of my other bad habits, but this one i'll probably keep.  the stress of quitting would probably kill me  :-)

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2008, 05:06:12 pm »

Bears scratch and mark their territories as high as possible. Makes other bears think they are bigger. Dogs do it too by lifting leg. Scare the other dogs in the neighborhood, lift your dog up high!

Ha ha I could just have my 7 and 8 year old boy pee on it then.  I think they can probably hit the top of a 10 ft tree!!  At least I think so from the high water mark behind the toilet :-x
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2008, 08:14:22 pm »

You mean this guy: http://www.imdb.com/gallery/ss/0088763/096896039736_z_backpcju.jpg.html?path=gallery&path_key=0088763&seq=19

......jp

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2008, 08:42:46 pm »
Yep!! It will work and work well on coyotes. My boy and I take care of the predator control out at the ranch. Make sure you mark the same areas as much as possible. Same corner/same sage brush/ same whatever. It works very well. It will keep out a wide variety of critters. Plus it makes the wife blush everytime the boy and I do it. That is just a side bonus.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2008, 10:21:54 pm »
 Well, I've heard about the peeing thing many times. Around my house and yard I cant tell if it stops animals, but I know one thing for sure...Enough peeing keeps the grass from coming back! I keep rminding my pals to "spray it around" so it doesnt pool up in one place!
 Oh, yeh,....No one can see what goes on at my place because i'm hidden by trees!
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2008, 11:07:44 pm »
So do you really think it could keep away bears???

My husband said to give him a jug and he will fill it up for me, but how often do I keep doing this???

Annette

Offline Burl

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2008, 01:43:40 am »
Used to have problems with weasels coming to the chicken coop to cull our flock to only cripples .  That's right , they would kill all the sound healthy birds and leave everything else.  That did it!  Me an tha BOYZ made war wit dem pesky varmits .  We marked both high and low outside the coop (which only has 2 doors , ask TWT) and have had no weasel problems since we began a regular marking program .  We did not have such great success though using "lutefisk" , that scandanavian dish made of fish soaked in Liquid Plumber til it turned all goey and gluey.  We were told to use it to get rid of some some skunks that had moved in under our house .  Well let me tell ya, by golly that part worked .  The skunks left , but now we got 2 swedes livin' under there.                                 I always sit in my own pew.    ---Burl---
                                                                               What a stinker !
Of all the things I've ever been called ;
I do like "Dad" the most .   ---Burl---