Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: advice for queen release  (Read 1626 times)

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
advice for queen release
« on: September 11, 2013, 08:59:15 am »
I installed a push-in cage and queen on sunday.  I figure this afternoon would be a good time to see if she's ready.  Any advice, suggestions or tips for the release.  Also what chaeacteristics do I look for when deciding if the colony is ready for her?

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: advice for queen release
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 09:16:00 am »
I like a week before release, when you can easily brush the bees off.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:25:50 pm »
If it's a real push in cage (#8 hardware cloth) and it's on wax foundation (or foundationless) the bees will release the queen.  I would wait a week so you don't cause them to ball the queen.  Odds are she will already be out and you can just remove the cage.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:59:18 pm »
it is #8 hardware cloth and natural wax foundation.  I was actually worried about them undermining the wax.  I guess its all part of the process and that actually makes a lot of sense.  thank you.  I have to check on syrup level today and I recon I'll take a gentle peek inside and see if she is in there or not.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:53:27 pm »
>undermining the wax.

That is exactly what they will do.  Mine under it...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 05:31:51 pm »

well, that seems to be what they are doing.  I took a peek today and the queen is in the cage still but now with about 20+ workers.  I looked, but I cant see any gaps where they got in.  maybe they ate their way in from the back side of the foundation.  I'm gonna let them chill for a few more days.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:37:35 pm »
trottet1; First of all, wait for someone with more experience than I to agree or disagree. Every hive is different and every situation is different.  If the queen has been in there since last sunday and workers have chewed their way in the cage with her I'd let her go if it was me. Mine was in her cage only three days before I released her.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline trottet1

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 07:13:58 am »
I'm on another forum as well and the general  consensus is to give her a little more time.  I think ill give her til the weekend.  Ill let everyone know how it goes.

anything