Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bees on cotton  (Read 2946 times)

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
bees on cotton
« on: July 06, 2012, 11:03:22 pm »
Ok,
I have moved my bees to an area where there is alot of irrigated cotton.  I hear they should produce a decent honey crop from this, but my question is should I or do I need to provide them with some pollen sub?  I have done some pokeing around on-line and have not found any thing about the cotton plants producing pollen. 
Thanks for the feed back
Jason
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: bees on cotton
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 11:19:36 pm »
They will do fine.    Don't worry about it.   And you will get lots of white honey from it.   

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 03:01:27 am »
Fluffy white honey?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 04:18:40 am »
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 05:10:04 am »
I hear they cotton produce a lot of honey dew is this T or F I do not know  :?

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »
I was told they do produce excess "nectar" through a gland on the leafs.  I did look at the plants while I was there, they are not blooming yet but you can clearly see the gland on the undersides of the leafs.  My main question was if I should give the girls some pollen sub as I am not sure if cotton plants would produce enough for them to keep building up.

Offline Blackwater Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »
I was told they do produce excess "nectar" through a gland on the leafs.  I did look at the plants while I was there, they are not blooming yet but you can clearly see the gland on the undersides of the leafs.  My main question was if I should give the girls some pollen sub as I am not sure if cotton plants would produce enough for them to keep building up.

Honeybees are pretty resourceful creatures, they will find the pollen they need, IMHO.  :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »
Bud's bees in Macon, Ms do quite well on cotton and I rather like the taste of it. I will tell you though cotton honey is not for everyone. Its the kind of thing you love or hate. I would assume your colonies should be able to find enough pollen in the area as bees always seem to be able to find pollen. Always being able to find enough nectar is always a challenge for them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 05:14:14 pm »
I understand how resourceful bees can be. The reason for my concern is that they are in west Texas. There seems to be nothing out there other than the cotton that they are farming. They are irrigating it, te places that are not being irrigated seem pretty barren. Lots of red dirt, sand, and rocks showing out there

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:09:16 pm »
no problem; just tell the farmer to spray late if possible, and he will have to spray.  no problem with pollen there is plenty there . i tried to return yo email, but dont guess i suceeed  try a pm if you got mo questions and willl send no.
to bee or not to bee

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:14:38 pm »
Thanks bud. Supposedly they are not going to be spraying because of the boweivle eradication project.

anything