Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feral Bees in Column  (Read 6110 times)

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
Feral Bees in Column
« on: September 30, 2012, 10:53:22 am »
This is a photo of the bees filling a crack in the column. I am assuming that the column is expanding due to the growth of the hive. We moved into the house in June and have not done anything with them. They are only in the column and not in the walls or attic at all. My plan is to build some boxes in hope I can capture a swarm and transfer this hive into a box eventually. The hive is not aggressive (so far) and do not respond at all to any mowers, power equipment, blowers etc. Of course I imagine this can change rapidly.
We do not have much of a winter here in Louisiana but I still do not plan on messing with them until next year.

Tried to post a photo but do not have enough posts to rate image posting.

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: Feral Bees in Column
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 07:03:52 pm »
what kind of column?  and are these st. martin parish knucklehead bees?  :-P

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 07:20:37 pm »
Hello,
This is a wood column about 7' tall and the bees in question are Lafayette Parish bees of the Northside variety!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
Captain, send your pictures to one of the moderators and they will be glad to post them for you. Round or square column?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 12:34:31 pm »
Round column JP. Thanks for the tip. I will do a mod search and see who to pester. Most likely I will take a few pics and post to my website then give a link. Might be easier.

I really dig your videos. Right now the bees ain't hurting anything but I would like to achieve a childhood goal of having a hive or two. Of course Laffy is a "no buzz" zone so I would have to be non compliant.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 12:54:13 pm »
Hopefully, its a wooden column, correct?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »
Ha! Oh yes it made of wood. I imagine they are running out of space in there. Seems like a whole lotta buzzin goin on.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 01:02:10 am »
Come spring you should be able to do your removal and if careful be able to put the column back together as if nothing happened. If you wait until April you likely will catch at least a few swarms from the colony.  ;)

...JP

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:08:25 am »
I was hoping I would be able to reassemble and reuse the column. The idea of gathering a swarm before the cut out appeals to me.
Waiting till April or the preferred time is not a problem, actually gives me more time to plan and work on what I need. Equipment, boxes etc. I have an oak tree roughly 30' out from the hive entrance I was planning to mount a swarm box to and put a couple more around the yard.
Too many duties Mon afternoon kept me from photo capture of the situation. I will try harder this afternoon.

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 07:57:19 am »
I just thought of something about the bees wintering over. Would it help, harm or otherwise affect the hive if I feed them over the winter? If they overwinter more comfortably are they more likely to throw swarms in the Spring? Laugh if it is a silly idea, I am not too thin skinned.

Offline jaseemtp

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:54:55 am »
if you have a way to feed them, I do not see what it would hurt.  If they make through winter with a larger number of bees because you fed them then it would stand to reason they would cast off swarms.
My 0.02 cents is to do it!
"It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 11:56:38 am »
Open feed them and if they need the resources they will bring it in. Can only help their cause. BTW, place several swarm traps out. If you have the equipment, use deeps for your traps. Do something like 50', 150' and 300' if you are able. This will increase your chances of success.

...JP

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 04:06:14 pm »
I have no equipment yet, nothing at all. I hoped to get stuff together over the winter and be prepared. The feeding will be easy to put out and may help them.

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 08:44:05 pm »
This is the link to a couple of bad pics and rough videos of the bees in the column. http://smu.gs/QVWNew

Offline rober

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 09:03:24 pm »
i have a friend in lafayette who is on good terms with her ex-son-in-law who is a beekeeper. would you be interested in getting in touch with him? he may be able to assist you.

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 09:17:21 pm »
It would most likely help alot to meet and talk to people.

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 09:44:44 am »
We put out boxes to try to catch a swarm. The column must be filled to capacity as it is opening up at the gaps in the wood. Will post some photos or links to photos later today or this weekend.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2013, 02:20:08 pm »
Bees cant split sound wood. They will remove rot but not sound wood. The column is rotting, you need to replace the column with a new one . You can thank the bees for pointing it out to you, by placing  the old column in the garden and leave it for the bees. That column will be better than any hive an whats more legal!
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline CaptMorganism

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 04:28:21 pm »
Clarification: the column is made of separate panels, it isn't one solid piece. The expansion is at a point where the sections come together.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 11:19:44 pm »
Now that is way cool.

You are a lucky man Capt.

Good luck with everything.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."