Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: TBH Roof Material Question  (Read 5169 times)

Offline mjdtexan

• House Bee
  • BBQ MASTER
TBH Roof Material Question
« on: January 14, 2010, 01:58:55 pm »
I am done with the hive but have not built a cover for it. I was thinking of making a cover like a roof. Would asphalt shingles make the hive to hot for the bees?
Wine Maker
Gardener
BBQ Competition Enthusiast
Interested in Hot Peppers
Texas Apiary Inspection Service

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Re: TBH Roof Material Question
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:13 pm »
Just about anything can work including a simple painted ply wood top. Build the frame so there is a slight slope (to shed rain) and insulate with polystyrene sheet underneath to keep the heat in when it's cold and out when its hot  ;)

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 12:06:24 pm »
What Michael said... but you could add a vent hole in the peak to let out the hot air.  FYI.... My tops are just square frames with a thin sheet of plywood and metal roofing on that.  I put extra top bars or scraps under the lid keeping it off the top bars and creating a ventilated air space.  The space between the top bars and the roof material can be applied whatever roof type you make.
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.
http://www.davesbees.com

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 09:46:27 pm »
Shingles along with 1/2 decking that you need to attach them are remarkably heavy. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 08:43:54 am »
An old piece of tin, an old piece of plywood, whatever is handy... and preferably free.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:47:24 am »
Piece of metal roof works great.   Light and easy to use and stacks well for storage too.

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/barrel-top-bar-hive/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:14:30 am »
I've noticed on a lot of the European videos that they use plastic sheet right on top of the frames and a slab of styrofoam weighted or bungeed down on top.  I just happen to have some 3" slabs of styro...
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:31:32 am »
Here are some pictures of my roof and hives.
Daves Bees Apiary

And a video of how I make an air space above the bars.

Right now I have a piece of styrofoam on the topbars instead of the air gap.
Dave - PM me if you are interseted in natural beekeeping in Hancock County Maine.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 01:35:28 pm »
This may sound like a dumb question, but don't the frames all fit up tight to each other?  How do you get ventilation up throught the frames...or do you just rely on the holes at each end? 

(I haven't made one yet, but am considering starting one from a split this year to see how it works in my area)
-Mike
-Mike

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 01:54:07 pm »
I have a top entrance at one end.  The bees then facilitate the rest of the ventilation.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »
"This may sound like a dumb question, but don't the frames all fit up tight to each other?  How do you get ventilation up throught the frames...or do you just rely on the holes at each end?"

The air gap acts as a thermal break to conductivity, to help stop overheating by Sun and condensation on cold roof. Vent like Michael - top opening, hot moist air wants to rise.

...Rob

Offline DavesBees

• House Bee
    • Dave's Bees
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 10:02:31 am »
Just for clarity, Michael is talking about ventilating the hive proper and I’m just ventilating the roof. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 10:23:39 am »
Just using a piece of corrugated metal on top of the top bars is the easiest and you take advantage of the corrugations of the metal roof for ventilation.   I learned this from Les Crowder who is a TBH legend.

http://www.bushkillfarms.com/gallery2/d/880-2/DCP_0184_001.JPG
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

anything