Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new from central NY  (Read 1677 times)

Offline mudlandmin

• New Bee
new from central NY
« on: December 01, 2010, 02:22:54 pm »
im from near the utca rome region and next spring will be my first year beekeeping...any advice on companies or technique is appreciated! :-D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: new from central NY
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »
Welcome to the forum.   I would suggest reading as much as you can between now and spring.  Also, your about 2 hours from Betterbee in Greenwich, NY and about 2 1/2 hours from Dadant in Waverly, NY.  Both are good companies to deal with and it would be well worth your time to take a trip to either.  Have a look around and have a talk.   I know Betterbee offers a beginner's course and perhaps Dadant does as well.   I would also suggest trying to find a local beekeepers club and start attending the meetings.   Beekeeping is very regional and finding a mentor in your area is always the best.   Of course, there is an abundance of knowledgeable folks here that are always will to give advice as well.

Good luck and plan big,  it is very addicting. :-D
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:19:17 am »
Welcome to the board.

I second everything Robo said.  Use the search feature and go back and read through previous posts on topic you are interested in. It will make the winter pass quicker.  Watch JP's videos and you will learn a lot about handling bees (and where to find good milkshakes!).

You are gonna have a fun 2011!
linda d

Offline mudlandmin

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 06:09:45 pm »
thanks for all the info!  im planning on getting bees from betterbee hopefully. and i do want to take a trip out that way.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 08:27:37 pm »
Be sure to check days and hours. I know Dadant is never open on Saturdays.