Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: malware  (Read 14649 times)

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
Re: malware
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2009, 08:05:56 am »
A forum that I use anytime I have a computer problem, is  http://www.techguy.org/  this is a forum that I could not get along without, if I am going to use a computer.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2009, 10:06:54 am »
How much do they charge for help.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2009, 10:51:59 am »
How much do they charge for help.

They do not charge anything, only ask that you search for an answer in their forum before asking a question, and most of the time this search will give you the info you need to solve your problem. It is a very busy forum, with a lot of very knowledgeable tecci's on it. Like most forums they do solicit donations, but very mildly. with a donation to the cost of supporting the forum, they will delete the advertising that actually does not bother me, knowing that there is a lot of expense, and time involved in supporting a real busy forum. The techguys forum has helped me a lot over the years, saved me service calls and their cost, and in the past I have contributed to them. I am a member on many forums, most of which I never visit since having a problem with something (TV, auto, tractor, truck, garden, AC, well pump, with a good search you can find forums on any/every thing), and searching for a forum. I have consulted forums on problems, hobbies, just about everything, and have registered in many of them. I have went to the tecguy forum often, when I had a computer problem (often easily solved and no problem) and before making purchases of new equiptment. One word of warning, ALL forums in my belief have some members that are socalled (in their opinion) experts, that are not correct in their advice to you, so use them, but with caution, although most answering persons are knowedgeble.
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2009, 11:02:52 am »
Thank you lakeman :)
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline jajtiii

• House Bee
    • Beekeeping in Varina, Virginia
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2009, 08:53:02 pm »
Malware can have many meanings, but here are the steps you can take to tackle this problem.

If you have any toolbars (Yahoo, Gmail, whatever), uninstall them (Control Panel->Add/Remove Software)
Run Spybot (previous poster mentioned url)
Reboot
Run Ad-aware (previous poster mentioned it)
Reboot

If you still have your problem, escalate your attack by running the same sequence above, but in Safe Mode. Reboot. After the PC posts, start tapping F8 and you will eventually get a screen to either launch normally or launch in safe mode. Do the latter and run spybot/adaware.

If this still does not fix your problem, you will want to use Trend Micro's HiJackThis. It's not a big deal, but you do have the possibility of really messing things up with this program, so I would find a forum that specifically deals with HiJackThis for this effort.

In really bad cases, I have actually simply done a repair on a client's pc, which will reinstall the os but leave client profile data (My Docs, etc..) alone.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2009, 09:40:58 pm »
i like spybot.  make sure you right click on it to open, and run as administrator.  if you don't it won't get some stuff.

also, disable 3rd party cookies. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2009, 11:08:13 pm »
Lavasoft is a really simple free malware program.. I been using it for years.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline thebalvenie

• House Bee
  • Vote Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2010, 12:20:47 pm »
Malwarebytes has been mentioned up above.  you can't go wrong with that one..it's probably the best for removing and identifying trojans.

i use a completely free anti-virus called Avast! it's been incredibly reliable for me for the last 6 years. 

"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"