Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: malware  (Read 14649 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
malware
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:10:05 pm »
dose anybody know how to get rid of malware I think that is how you spell it
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline wd

• Field Bee
Re: malware
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 03:16:46 pm »
Your anti virus program should remove it. I use McAfee.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 03:26:26 pm »
 I got rid of all my malware by using Linux.  Haven't had any since.

If you insist on using windows though,  I would save my money and not pay McAfee or Norton , instead , try Avast Antivirus. It is free download for home users and for a free registration, you can download a legit registration # that is good for two years of updates and upgrades.

In every Win machine I have used Avast on, it works as well if not better than the paid services out there.

While I personally do not have Win installed on my home computers, I do work with it still at the school I am IT admin for.  Can't totally eliminate it so have to make sure to stay up on it.

Big Bear

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 04:24:26 pm »
I got rid of all my malware by using Linux.  Haven't had any since.

If you insist on using windows though,  I would save my money and not pay McAfee or Norton , instead , try Avast Antivirus. It is free download for home users and for a free registration, you can download a legit registration # that is good for two years of updates and upgrades.

In every Win machine I have used Avast on, it works as well if not better than the paid services out there.

While I personally do not have Win installed on my home computers, I do work with it still at the school I am IT admin for.  Can't totally eliminate it so have to make sure to stay up on it.

Big Bear

Linux would be a way to go. The free version of Avast will work to an extent but it doesn't come with a firewall. Can I ask what you used and suggest for a free firewall?

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:33:50 pm »
I use either zone alarm or pc tools firewall plus.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 04:44:37 pm »
will my firewall from windows xp work

bigbearomaha

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »
the default Windows firewall is known round the globe as one of the worst ever made.  Not just bashing here.   I always disable it and use one of my own choosing.

Big Bear

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:21:33 pm »

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 05:53:03 pm »
I like to run multiple defenses.

These are FREE but Norton or McCaffee are both BETTER though cost more than many can afford.

AVG Ant-Virus Free Version available here =  http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage

Ad-Aware                         available here = http://www.lavasoft.com/single/trialpay.php  (click "continue to download Ad-Aware Free" NOT the not for free version "Ad-Aware Plus"

Spybot Search & Destroy    available here = http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-amp-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html?tag=mncol

Windows Pop-Up Blocker     available on your system

Mozilla Firefox web browser  available here = http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

with the Firefox addon pop-up locker
                                      available here = https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

Zone Alarms firewall           available here = http://download.cnet.com/ZoneAlarm/3000-10435_4-10039884.html

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 09:07:05 am »
NOD32 works well for me.

FYI, Norton is a virus within itself,  ask anyone who has tried to remove it :evil:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 12:28:51 pm »
I use Malwarebytes, its free and works good for me. I agree with Robo about Notron. I use to use it and did not like it at all. I also found it will try to keep other antivirus and malware programs from running on the same computer.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 03:23:23 pm »
Been there and done that with norton hate it :-x

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2009, 10:58:19 pm »
Norton is a buggar with all its pop-up warnings and hoops it makes you jump through.  I hate it also and will never use it again.  But when installed and configured correctly it does a great job of protecting a computer. 

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 01:05:38 am »
I agree with previous posters re Norton, it's a great product for tech support people as there is a lot of work in removing broken Nortons!

A reputable free one off anti virus and malware scanner is here:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I haven't used Malwarebytes but have heard good reports.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 10:57:43 am »
I installed linux on an old comp, but I have no idea how to use it - Ive been able to load windows programs with WINE; but I'm a long ways off from being comfortable with it. (If I could get online with the linux computer, I'd save the windows unit for school.)
be happy and make others happy.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 11:34:19 am »
What version of Linux is it you have that doesn't offer a browser or a connection manager?

I'd be glad to help you out there.

BTW, this really should be a new thread for your post,

Big Bear

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 12:38:50 pm »
I have Arklinux, I was considering trying several versions to see how they go, mint looks interesting and ubuntu (sp?) is supposed to be a good starter; I wouldn't be shy about adding them all. It's an old laptop- which I connected directly to the ethernet hub. I didn't get a protocol's helper (I wouldn't be sure how to run it anyway) and the K(something) browser didnt surf. if you want to recommend a more user friendly version, I'll take the suggestion.
be happy and make others happy.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 01:45:38 pm »
So that we don't hijack this thread from it's original topic, I will start a new one for the continued discussion.

Big Bear

Offline taztiger

• New Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2009, 05:41:05 am »
A good trustworthy site to get shareware programs such as anti spyware and other utilites is called majorgeeks.com

cheers
Taz

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2009, 08:00:59 am »
NOD32 works well for me.

FYI, Norton is a virus within itself,  ask anyone who has tried to remove it :evil:

To remove norton completely, you have to download a special removal tool from norton.
I am my own biggest critic!

anything