Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Looks like I have finally experienced Wax Moth.  (Read 4391 times)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
Looks like I have finally experienced Wax Moth.
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:10:55 pm »
I've noticed an increase in activity around one of my colonies. I hadn't noticed any fighting so I ruled out robbing. Well I was wrong, these poor things have about been robbed out. On top of that the bottom medium box is riddled with wax moth.
Tonight I plan to go in after dark and try to salvage what's left.

The only question I have is do the robbing bees go back to their hives at night.

I ask because last night I was going to simply expose these supers to open air and let them get cleaned out today. But when I opened the lid at about 10pm there were bees everywhere. Unsure weather or not these were the remains of this colony or robbers caught by the darkness.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Looks like I have finally experienced Wax Moth.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:19:12 pm »
You are probably looking at the stragglers remaining from that hive. Bees do not give up easily even when all hope is lost.
Take the hive apart and they will move into one of your other hives.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 01:24:00 pm »
Thanks Jim.  I'll do a through evaluation tonight. Could be that the queen is still alive. I'll let you know how it goes.
Later,
Ray

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:19:14 pm »
By to tonight, you do mean well before dark?
I try to be out of my hives at least an hour before dark.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:06:08 pm »
Usually a hive with wax moths was caused by another problem-- a weak hive.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 07:11:02 pm »
By to tonight, you do mean well before dark?
I try to be out of my hives at least an hour before dark.
Jim

Nope. I mean night. Like 10pm night. What I saw looks like an emergency situation to me.  I'm working 12hr shifts with a 45min commute. I'll fix this tonight.
Later,
Ray

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 07:15:45 pm »

They had 3 mediums of bees. Two with brood, one with mostly capped honey. A larger hive started robbing then I think the wax moth joined in. Not real sure.
These were the least aggressive bees I had.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:33:59 pm by RHBee »
Later,
Ray

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 07:56:48 pm »
i'm with the captain on this one.  look a little deeper for other problems.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:56:38 pm »

Or leaving the pollen patties on too long, those are always good for drawing ants, small hive beetle, and wax moth to a hive.  Leaving them on to long is like using herring to catch Salmon, darn good odds.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 11:57:24 pm »
So you didn't get hooked up with the Xentari  :(
John 3:16

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 12:32:54 am »

No not yet been working. This is my first, hopefully my last. I just haven't ordered the BT yet.
Just finished fixing what I could. Not much left. Didn't see a queen. Wouldn't be easy to see anyway by flashlight. New SSB, one medium new, new inner cover. They're sitting on drawn comb, maybe enough food for a couple of days. Only 3 to 4 hundred bees left. Come Saturday I'm going to check one more time for a queen. If none will combine with another colony.
Man, I've seen pictures but reality is pretty graphic. What a mess. Every bit as destructive as SHB.
Later,
Ray

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 01:09:39 am »

No not yet been working. This is my first, hopefully my last. I just haven't ordered the BT yet.
Just finished fixing what I could. Not much left. Didn't see a queen. Wouldn't be easy to see anyway by flashlight. New SSB, one medium new, new inner cover. They're sitting on drawn comb, maybe enough food for a couple of days. Only 3 to 4 hundred bees left. Come Saturday I'm going to check one more time for a queen. If none will combine with another colony.
Man, I've seen pictures but reality is pretty graphic. What a mess. Every bit as destructive as SHB.

Not as messy and putrid as the shb but I agree more destructive as they eat away at your wooden ware :(

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 12:56:10 pm »

Or leaving the pollen patties on too long, those are always good for drawing ants, small hive beetle, and wax moth to a hive.  Leaving them on to long is like using herring to catch Salmon, darn good odds.

ray, did you use any pollen supplements?  you shouldn't have to i have 2 to 3 deep frames full of pollen in almost every hive right now and most of it was collected in the last 2 or 3 weeks.  i'm actually concerned about being pollen bound pretty soon if it keeps up.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 02:10:22 pm »
ray, did you use any pollen supplements?  you shouldn't have to i have 2 to 3 deep frames full of pollen in almost every hive right now and most of it was collected in the last 2 or 3 weeks.  i'm actually concerned about being pollen bound pretty soon if it keeps up.

Nope, I don't use them.. I found out about the relationship between patties and SHB last year. The Charleston area is SHB ground zero. I still have about 10lbs of patties in the freezer. I may try them again in the spring. IDK. I'm pretty sure that this hive got weakened one way or another.
Later,
Ray

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 08:00:59 am »
Follow Up Report -- I went through the remaining bees with a fine tooth comb yesterday. I found no queen. I used what comb that I was able to salvage and combined them with another colony. I used no paper,  I simply placed the box on the other colony and put on the cover. I saw no fighting it's like both colonies were happy for the help..
Thanks for the replies and help. You all help with the decision making process. The experience, knowledge and generosity of the members of this forum has been my greatest asset.
Later,
Ray

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 09:47:18 am »
i've never used any kind of pollen patties.  i may trap some pollen and feed it back in january to see if it fires up brood rearing but the time for doing that is getting short already.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 02:47:57 pm »
We usually have red maple coming in by Jan. Not much need to feed pollen.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 12:19:10 pm »
Congratulations RHbee, You are now a Field Bee. :-D
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 02:16:16 pm »
Congratulations RHbee, You are now a Field Bee. :-D
Jim

Thanks Jim, Still don't mean I know anything. I hope with a few more years under my belt beekeeping and learning from the folks on this forum I'll be able to help others to be able to enjoy this passion we all share.
Later,
Ray