Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: rooftop swarm  (Read 2718 times)

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
rooftop swarm
« on: April 21, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »
ok, homeowner sent me a pic. so set the nuc box on the ladder and sweep em with a broom off into the box? or what?

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: rooftop swarm
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 06:22:55 pm »
I think sweeping you might chance injuring the queen. I would say vac if you had one. WHy cant you put the nuc with a touch of lemon grass in it right beside them on the roof?

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 06:56:25 pm »
There's probably more bees down in the gutter, I have see swarms like this with the majority of the bees would be down inside.  Vac is the best way to go.
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 07:26:01 pm »
Either that is a tiny secondary or tertiary swarm or they have started to move into the soffit or wall and the majority of them are now inside.  If it is a tiny entrance hole,  it can take hours for the whole swarm to move in.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 07:27:58 pm »
Or on second look,  is that a pile of bees  or leaves on the shingles?   If that is the swarm, I would set a nuc box right by them and let them walk in.     I've never seen a swarm "ON" a roof.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 08:11:00 pm »
im with robo, place a nuc with brood comb( if you have some) next to them.they will march right in.
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 10:40:24 pm »
when I got there that pile on the roof had doubled and the gutter ball moved up with the rest..  put a box down and got a few stings in the face. no march.. they were upset as I figure the live oak above the roof was most likely where they came from.  we had 60 mph gusts move through yesterday evening and they probly got blown down. they werent happy at all.  suited up and sucked 3 full buckets of bees up.  this is the biggest swarm ive seen yet.  it filled a deep with bees, i put a medium on top to give them some room. dang mang.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 12:26:38 am by duck »

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 03:32:20 am »
That is a big swarm for sure, ezy pzy of a catch.

The bee vac works wonders for jobs like that.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 09:22:37 pm »
That is a big swarm. Great photo

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 09:45:10 pm »
Second the vac.    But good looking swarm.   Never seen them spread out on a roof like that before.