Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm #3 - on the rack! We'll see for how long???  (Read 2044 times)

Moots

Swarm #3 - on the rack! We'll see for how long???
« on: April 04, 2013, 11:10:21 am »
Have a sister getting married this weekend at one of my other sister's house....So the family "to do" list has been fairly long and time consuming for the past couple of weeks.  Pulling up there yesterday afternoon to help out when I got a call for a swarm about 35 minutes away.  Decided to squeeze it in...grabbed my nephew and headed out.  The weather was pretty dreary and we didn't have a whole lot of daylight left.  Luckily, it was conveniently located, about 5 feet up in a Bradford Pear tree. 

I was a little disappointed because it seemed very small, based on her description I was expecting it to be bigger.  :shock:  Imagine that!  :laugh:

However, looking back at the picture, Yeah, it's small, but not quite as bad as I remembered it.  We'll see....I gave them some old brood comb drizzled with honey and a quart of sugar water.  It was after dark by the time I got them home and the weather is fairly nasty again today so maybe that will discourage them from leaving and they'll decide they want to say.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Swarm #3 - on the rack! We'll see for how long???
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 11:26:03 am »
Congratulations again.  Looks respectable and as the weather cools the swarm contracts to preserve warmth.  It could be a bit larger than it looks.  It's almost getting old hat for you now isn't it?   ;)

I don't care how long you've been doing it.  As a beekeeper if the thought of catching a swarm doesn't get your blood going, it's because you're dead.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 01:24:03 pm »
Congrats Moots. Looks like a nice swarm.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:44:34 pm »
Way to go Moots.....like the way you threw everything to the side to go get the swarm, that really shows where your loyalty is....throw the family under the bus for a swarm of bees.    :lau: :lau:
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Moots

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:30 pm »
Way to go Moots.....like the way you threw everything to the side to go get the swarm, that really shows where your loyalty is....throw the family under the bus for a swarm of bees.    :lau: :lau:

:laugh: You got it rbinhood...it's all about priorities, every man for himself! :lau: 

Just joking....All the family duties were taken care of after the bees, It just meant I had a little later night than I anticipated.  However, it was worth it,  I'll do the same thing again today if the opportunity presents itself.  :-D

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 01:54:43 pm »
Way to go Moots... Your family must be a little more understanding than mine...Long list of things to do and you still make time to get the swarm in bed before dark... one cool cat 8-) :mrgreen: :) ... Keep it up and you are going to need more property...
Marshall

Moots

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 02:39:59 pm »
... Your family must be a little more understanding than mine...

B,
I'll share a little invaluable rule of life...."It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!'  :-D

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:22:29 pm »
like a pro, good job.tomorrow go look for the queen.i have confindence in you that you can find her .
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 09:16:43 pm »
Agreed moots. Much easier to get forgiveness than permission. But i am pretty sure my wife might be part elephant cause she never forgets... :-D Just Joking ...The just joking part is in case she reads this one day.  :evil:  Hope all is good and will talk with ya soon...
Marshall

Moots

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 10:59:22 pm »
Agreed moots. Much easier to get forgiveness than permission. But i am pretty sure my wife might be part elephant cause she never forgets... :-D Just Joking ...The just joking part is in case she reads this one day.  :evil:  Hope all is good and will talk with ya soon...

Got darn B....You're either a braver man than I am, or not nearly as smart!   :)

Any man willing to say his wife is "part elephant".....WOW!  That takes a lot of hutzpah...just too many chances for a woman to misunderstand that or take it wrong. :lau: :lau: :lau:

Schawee, I'll probably be too busy with preparing for my sisters wedding to look for the queen...but honestly, I don't think I'm ready to be able to find her yet. Plus, wanted to give them a little time undisturbed to hopefully get anchored.  However, I did order me some queen clips....when I do finally spot one, I'll be ready.   :)

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »
LOL... Yeah i guess that could be mistaken for something a little different than intended...  :drowning:  :jawdrop: :pinkelephant:  and then shes like :whip:   
Marshall

anything