Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Queensland Australia  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
Hello from Queensland Australia
« on: May 23, 2013, 06:15:26 am »
Hello,
I am new to bee keeping, so please be nice.

Within a week of my first idea to have bees, I have already got the ball rolling.
I have ordered probably the only book I need on beekeeping
The Bee Book: Beekeeping in Australia by Peter Warhurst & Roger Goebel.
They said if there is one book to get about bee keeping, this is the one.

I registered my interest with this forum because I noticed there is a section just for Australia. There is a big difference when it comes to hive management.

I have ordered a quality bee keeping suit from BJ Sherriff, and I am going to invest some money to begin with for quality gear.

Offline JasonP

• New Bee
Re: Hello from Queensland Australia
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:06 am »
Hi Mate, I take it your in Mackay? Good luck with it all, I'm in Brissie & just starting out my self, just got all my gear and the hives are flat packed in the garage so looking forward to it as are you I'm sure.

Jason

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:24:58 am »
Hi Jason, yeah I'm from Mackay.

Where did you get your gear from and how much did you spend?

I was looking at qualitybeekeepingsupplies and was directed there because of word of mouth.

What other stuff did you buy?

I'm in the process of ordering all the stuff, while trying to figure out if I should just drive down with a trailer or bring it up with a courier.

Hope all goes well for your new hobby!

Offline JasonP

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:53:48 am »
If you want to PM me an email address I'll send you my list and prices of what I have bought and from where, I did buy some stuff from  qualitybeekeepingsupplies  also johnlguilfoyle.com.au as they have the dovetailed supers (stronger) and they are quite close to eachother. Some stuff from  honeybee.com.au/catalogue/cindex.html They have a base called the Hive doctor which I like the look of to help with knocking over these beetles. And of course Ebay.

Jason

Offline squidink

• House Bee
    • www.bensbees.com.au
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:56:22 am »
Welcome mate!

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:35:56 am »
Good to see another banana bender.  I hope your bees will be as nice to you as we are   :angel:

There is a bloke posts on here odd times from round Mackay, Lek.

True you'll have to watch out for them beetles on the coast there, so get the artillery ready before the bees get in.  If you drive during the night you could have all the gear back home by tomorrow arvo before the courier has had smoko  :)

I read the bee book when I started; good to keep as a reference too.  It's not specific to QLD though.

Lone

Offline cdray

• House Bee
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 09:51:24 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 08:43:21 pm »
Welcome to the forum from another Queenslander.
also johnlguilfoyle.com.au as they have the dovetailed supers (stronger)

Unless you intend driving to Brisbane, dovetail supers are also available from Pender Beekeeping Supplies with a saving of $8 per super.

Kevin

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 09:26:26 pm »
Welcome aboard!
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 10:35:45 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Mackayboi.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline Jeanette

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 12:23:32 am »
Welcome Mackayboi. Keep asking questions - there are plenty of helpful people here!  :)
Jeanette

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 08:36:11 am »
Today I have ordered all my beekeeping gear, really hope the investment will pay off in both an interesting hobby and in honey production. All my friends are very lucky because they will be having free honey when supply is flowing.

I got three super boxes and the seller said I don't need a brood box as I can use one of the supers as brood box. What do people reckon about using a super as a brood box?

I got most of my gear from the one supplier, while there may be cheaper certain items at one spot, overall keeping it all in one transaction balanced it all out, especially as postage is a big thing to regional locations.

So now, just waiting on the parcels and spend the weekend putting the hive together. Exciting !

Offline kanga

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 08:53:36 am »
I got three super boxes and the seller said I don't need a brood box as I can use one of the supers as brood box. What do people reckon about using a super as a brood box?

There is no problems using the super as a brood box. If you look at the catalogues from a lot of the suppliers they mostly just refer to supers, although I note there is one that lists both and has a different price but I am not aware of what the difference is.

Kevin

Offline Mackayboi

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 11:20:14 am »
And two and a half months later.... I am still assembling the boxes and the frames!

I have to admit, the new job I have has slowed work on my hobby, but now it is starting to level out and I am back to work on my interest in bees!

Just Made a stand for two hives today, using treated pine wood.

Anyone know of a place I can order a starter nuc (worker bees and queen) through the post in Queensland?