Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First year beekeeper from Florida  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Rusty1

• Brood
First year beekeeper from Florida
« on: August 01, 2011, 11:51:18 am »
 Hello all,

I'm a first year beekeep from Florida,and just started this year,so far have accumulated 5 colonies to date.I've enjoyed every minute of it so far,and just wish I wouldn't have waited so long to start the hobby.

I've had a few problems along the way,but nothing serious,and have been able to correct them and get back on track.I kind of started late in the season and don't think I'll get much honey this year,mainly because the bees have been a little slow drawing comb in the honey supers,but I think(actually hope)by this time next year should be better.

Rusty

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: First year beekeeper from Florida
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 12:35:58 pm »
Welcome to Beekeeping. Where are you located in Fl? Have you joined a club yet? We have 2 good club in N FL.
http://jaxbees.com/
http://www.neflhba.com/nefhbaevents.html
If you are in the Jax area, come on out and for the next Jax Bees meeting. Third Monday of every month. Our new president has had some great speakers and hands on training almost every month this year.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Judy in in

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:07:31 pm »
Welcome, welcome!

Anybody who is willing to work bees in the Florida heat is a better beek than me!

I'm afraid I'd have to just lay in the water down there--swimming pool, not alligator-infested.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 01:15:58 pm »
Anybody who is willing to work bees in the Florida heat is a better beek than me!

Most of us end up working without a bee suit. Went in to take the honey off of a 5 super hive, could not find my veil, I normally consider steeling honey to be the worst time for getting stung. I refused to wear a hot suit and did without.
Since I started using Bee Quick, my bees don't mind when I steal their honey. This is my second time. Neither my buddy no I received any stings nor were there very many bees flying around us. Just the ones going in and out of the hive.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 12:45:21 pm by sawdstmakr »
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 02:49:25 pm »
Welcome to the forum and I like that avatar.

Offline Rusty1

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:06:51 pm »
To start my thanks for the warm welcome,I really think should start with beauty regading Judy In In's welcome post,by saying what an attractive beekeeper you are(I'm assuming that's a pic of you in your profile),if there was ever a Miss America Beekeeper pageant you certainly would win it by a landslide,thanks for the warm welcome Judy.

Sawdstmakr I'm at least a 180 mile drive from where you're located,I'm located just outside of Tampa in Thonotosassa Fl.,I appreciate the invite but with gas prices the way they are I'm afraid I won't be able to attend,but thank you anyway for the invite.I've attended the local beekeep association here,but not very interested in joining,simply for the fact that they seem to be more into their pot luck dinner and beekeeping item raffle more so than catering to the new beekeeps and the many questions they have.

AllenF thanks for the avatar compliment,I've always been a firm believer of having a catchy avatar to get noticed. :-D

Thanks again all for the warm welcome!!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 10:23:38 pm by Rusty1 »

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:41:22 pm »
Welcome to the site!

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:39:59 am »
Greetings

Check out the Tampa Bay Beekeeper Association.  Souldn't be too far for you.  Meets every second Thursday.  I plan on going on the 18th and joining myself.

http://www.tampabaybeekeepers.com/

Have fun!