Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Tempting to feed  (Read 2164 times)

Offline jester7891

• House Bee
Tempting to feed
« on: February 08, 2009, 06:34:04 pm »
  I live on the NJ/Pa border by the Delaware River.  It was 55-60 degrees today and is supposed to be close to that for the rest of the week.  The bees were out in force getting some fresh air.  I am tempted to put out extra honey (I have some to give back) right in front of the hive.  I figure its food they can eat now and save the rest in the hive for when it turns cold again next week (I presume we will still have some more winter left).  Tell me why this is not a good idea.  Thanks,   Jester 

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Re: Tempting to feed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 08:01:37 pm »
We have had similar weather in southern Missouri, and I put out a pan of 1:1 sugar syrup with some HBH mixed in.  The bees were all over the pan both yesterday and today.  I am sure if it was the right thing to do, but the bees seemed to enjoy it.  I am curious if this is a sign that I should put some baggie feeders on top of the hives, and pull the dry sugar. I look forward to the posts by those who know more.
Brian

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:04 pm »
it will set up robbing if there are any hives close by!

better to give them the frames directly into the hive, if not in frames then moove the honey to an open area away from the hives, i keep at least 40 feet of distance when i feed honey from cutouts back to my hives.

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:18:23 pm »
I feed my bee's in the home yard with boardman feeders about 100 feet away, my out yards get top feeders, they are doing fine, might start splitting before long, seems might have drones in  FEW WEEKS BUT LOOKING FOR A COLD SNAP ALSO, I feel it in the temp, about time to start raising a few queens  :-D
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »
As mentioned it could very well attract robbing, a stronger hive could show up and fight and infiltrate the colony. Once the stronger colony gets a taste they show up en masse, potentially putting quite a hurting on your colony, possibly wiping them out.

Place capped honey frames inside the hive and reduce entrance. You could set up a community type feeder a good bit away from your hives, so all of the foragers meet at a neutral location.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:54:57 pm »
As mentioned it could very well attract robbing, a stronger hive could show up and fight and infiltrate the colony. Once the stronger colony gets a taste they show up en masse, potentially putting quite a hurting on your colony, possibly wiping them out.

Community feeding works as long as all the hives are being feed, not just one or two.  Community feeding is best accomplished by mimicing a natural source such as in the middle of blooming flowers or near fruit or flowering shrubs.  Try to make it so all the hives have to travel the same distance and that all have access.

Place capped honey frames inside the hive and reduce entrance. You could set up a community type feeder a good bit away from your hives, so all of the foragers meet at a neutral location.

...JP

If feeding from capped or extracted frames it is best to place the frames in the hive even if only a super above the brood area, but be sure to feed evenly to all your hives.  Feeding one hive and not feeding the others is the best way to set off a feeding and robbing frenzy that I know of.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:49:55 pm »
 "Community feeding works as long as all the hives are being feed, not just one or two."
 It also depends on the temperament of the hive. I have 3 hives here at the house. One of those will try to rob at the drop of a hat. I have tried as far as 1/8 of a mile away, two weeks ago. Both other hives were attacked (unsuccessfully due to reducers), my carport where I have supers with bee cleaned drawn comb stored gets filled with bees, my barn fills with them looking and sniffing. Litterally the one hive goes everywere it can looking. There are hive top feeders on all my hives also. Trying to get rid of some undrawn comb in broken frames. This is not a one time thing, I have tried several times this winter.
My wife said this last time "you knew better".
 On the bright side, as Michael Bush said, "they are very good foragers"
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda