Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do I keep my syrup from fermenting?  (Read 2812 times)

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
How do I keep my syrup from fermenting?
« on: July 11, 2009, 01:06:00 am »
Everytime I mix up a batch of syrup to feed my bees, it ferments before it gets used up.  Mixing smaller batches is a pain. I heard you can put vinegar in it, but have no idea about how much to use. haven't found anything searching the literature, either.  Any ideas?
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline harvey

• House Bee
Re: How do I keep my syrup from fermenting?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 02:46:52 am »
how much are you making?  I mix up five pounds of sugar at a time a little more than one to one and it is gone in about four days!  I think I am done feeding though for this part of the year.  I fed a swarm like that and they drew out comb like crazy.  Now I want to get some honey so I have quit feeding.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 05:25:29 am »
I use some essential oils in my sugar syrup mix. I don't mix them nearly as strong as some others in here do. The essential oils that I use keep the sugar water from spoiling.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 12:19:53 pm »
HBH or the self made version is supposed to help with this.  I would just make smaller amounts if it is not consumed in a week or two though.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:44:47 pm »
I use some essential oils in my sugar syrup mix. I don't mix them nearly as strong as some others in here do. The essential oils that I use keep the sugar water from spoiling.

What are "essential oils"?  I usually mix up a 10# bag of sugar per instructions that came from W.T. Kelley with my bees.
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 01:49:10 pm »
I put it in quart jars and keep it in the refrigerator.  Then either leave it out for a while or nuke it for a minute or so to warm it up before feeding.  Of course if you aren't using jars to feed out of this wouldn't make a lot of sense. 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

anything