Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in a low stucco wall  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
Bees in a low stucco wall
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:21:19 pm »
Used hammer to break stucco & then wire cutters to cut the chicken wire. Got 11 combs longest 13". Sunset coming on & half bees were in nuc hive w/ comb & other in stucco wall w/ comb remnants. I suspect queen is in w/ the stucco group but as this hive had no honey very minimal brood (old brood was hatching out as I cut out) & empty queen cells displayed on combs. Virgin queen most likely in bunch. Have time & going back today to resume, but might of swarmed off or regrouped in stucco wall. Will see if honey or sugar syrup on combs will entice & keep sweeping up into nuc & get lucky to find queen. No BeeQuick or vac so its labors here. Gotta run. Will post pics later.

Cheers, David
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Bees in a low stucco wall
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 07:39:32 pm »
How much later?   I can't wait.

Offline Dave360

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 09:26:31 pm »
did a stuco one reacently and boy lots of work we got lucky and bee quick drove out the queen
we had trouble with cutting stuco and did as you did and hammered it but not so good for combs
brought bees home released queen from clip next day then bees left 2 days later

Dave

Offline Apis_M_Rescue

• House Bee
  • Pollinating So Cal
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 06:19:38 pm »
Well got to site a bit after 4pm & talked to bee friendly owner & he said bees were out of wall & in my 5frame medium nuc box. Skeptical, I went to backyard where neighbors shared fence & looked inside my crude demolition. No bees! Surely they moved in to nother area in wall or swarmed off. Looked in nuc box entrance & sure enough bees concentrated in box. Opened box & they are packing in nectar in cells of combs & I gave em as much comb as I could back, to reuse resources. Drizzled honey in the empty cells as they had none. Was on 4th frame & their she was her royal highness. Nice sized amber abdomened queen w/ still fuzzy black thorax. Weaving amongst her workers here & there couldn't catch her in full glory but got partial pic  I think.

Old persnickity neighbor lady who got stung 3 times on hand, on other side of fence seen me checking the hives new home asked in broken english, did you kill them yet? Luckily her relative translated in Spanish that I also got stung on hand 3 times, only because I was bothering them near evening during their beauty sleep. Cleaned up a bit & observed till dusk the late foragers who must be taking advantage of the magnolia tree flowers opening up in area. Night descending, I screwed on entrance closure & thanked owner for going the rescue route & exchanged emails to send him video's & pics. Dropped off bees to one of my 10 hive mini apiaries & placed on water moated stand for impending ant invasions.  Here is the video's still working on the pics to post:Alhambra Stucco Wall Hive

& this Tuesdays video follow up:

Alhambra Stucco Wall Hive Bringing Ladies Home
Pleasant words are as a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24