Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Did second cutout Saturday!  (Read 1765 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Did second cutout Saturday!
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:35:44 pm »
I did my second cutout this past Saturday. It started in the overhang soffit of the second floor and extended under the bedroom. I accessed it from the soffit, and got as much as I could, then opened up the bedroom floor (right along the wall) to get the rest. Went pretty good, about 8 hours from starting to getting them back home and set up.  Didn't see the queen, but got 10 frames of assorted brood and eggs. Sunday evening they seemed content in the topbar hive I set them up in; orientation flights, and returning foragers. Pretty fresh, new comb; bottled 10 lbs of honey. Got 1 or 2 left to strain. Only about a dozen or so dead bees in the beevac. I cut the honey portion off the brood comb before framing it to prevent dripping (I learned from my previous mistake!!). Homeowner is a woodworker and is going to make me 3 topbar hives for doing this. :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Did second cutout Saturday!
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:41:18 am »
Sounds like you had a very enjoyable/successful experience. Way to go! Any pictures/video?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:07:01 pm »
So you got eight hours in between runs to play with bees?  Or just spent a whole day off doing it?  I had yesterday off and spent better part of the day driving across the state just to pick up a queen.    I have caught swarms and used bait traps never tried and think I don't really want to try a cut out.  Congrats and good job.  Hope all has been safe at work.   Harv

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 10:13:05 am »
Harvey, work is good. Total call volume is up, but my shift has been pretty slow.
JP, I took a couple pics, but don't know how to put them on the forum. Will try to figure it out at the station tomorrow!
Thanks!
ps. they still seem happy in their new home. Will check next week to see if there are new eggs/queen.