Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Combine???  (Read 1889 times)

Offline glenn c hile

• House Bee
Combine???
« on: June 30, 2010, 11:16:10 pm »
Over the last couple of weeks I have come into possesion (swarms, cutouts, bees in tree) of 4 small groups of bees.  Each having maybe 2000 bees or so.  Only one likely has a queen (will check 2 tomorrow and just picked up 1 tonight that I am 99.9% sure I didnt get the queen).  They are in nuc boxes.  Should I move them to boxes and do a newspaper combine?  Can I do all 4 at once or should I let two at a time get used to each other?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Combine???
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 11:27:07 pm »
Do them all at once and you probably won't even need the newspaper. When combining more than 2, they don't fight near as much as combining just 2.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:31:05 pm »
This is interesting Iddee.

How do you combine all these different hives?? Just dump them all together in one super??

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:33:09 pm »
Open all 4 and start placing frames in a 8 or 10 frame box. They get confused when there is more than one smell and think they are the intruders, rather than the protectors.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:36:05 pm »
OK great information. I know when I combined my 2 swarms last week there was so much fighting, I remember you mentioned here they would calm down in 48 hours and that is exactly what happened.

anything