Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee vacs?  (Read 4364 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Bee vacs?
« on: June 27, 2009, 01:17:02 am »
I know there are some great instructions on building bee vacs on here.  I would love to build one, but the time I have is very minimal.  I am constantly in need of bee boxes etc.  I am currently considering just buying one.  There are a couple that are around the $200 mark. 

Does anyone have a history with mass produced bee vacs?  Any recommendations on a type, or manufacturer?  Kelley had a unit that I was considering.  I would be happy to listen to any thoughts.  I just don't have the time to build one right now, but am going to be in need of one that is kinder to the bees. 

This heat today motivated me to get something different.  My modified shopvac, is not cutting it.  It isn't fair to the bees to keep using it.  In cool weather it seems to do well, just not in the heat.  Today was the catalyst.

Thanks,

Joker
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline riverrat

• House Bee
Re: Bee vacs?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 01:25:39 am »
get in touch with Iddee there is a lot of us using his design with good results.  his design is easy and quick to build
never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 01:52:31 am »
buy the one from walter kelley company, jp and i both have one and we both love it!

buy one or two extra internal cages and you cant go wrong.

wouldnt do a cutout without it again.
bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 12:00:25 am »
Riverrat, thanks for the input.  I thought about building one, but even though it might be easy, it is one more thing that I don't have time for.  We will see, though, if I have enough scrap wood it might be wise. 

Bailey, thanks, also.  What do you know/think about the "vac-a-bee" from Dadant.  It interested me, because shipping would be cheaper.  We live much closer to Dadant.  I might even run up and purchase it there.  Also, Brushy Mountain, sells the Owen's Bee Vac.  Another thing on the Dadant vac, is the fact that the boxes hold 4 pounds. 

I will probably go for the Kelly vac, but thought maybe someone had thoughts on these other two.  The fact that you and JP both have the Kelly one, and give it good reviews, makes me think it is worth the extra shipping etc.  Their website needs a little TLC, IMO.  It seems a little difficult and lacks info I would like to have.  As far as that goes, so does Dadant.  Brushy has the best of the three, again IMO. 

Anyway, thanks guys.

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 12:19:41 am »
http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/Owens-Bee-Vac/productinfo/318/

I was looking at this one the other day. Did you happen to call them about its particulars? Information is lacking on the site, like how many bees it holds and info about the inner collection container.

Find out if they offer additional collection containers and how much they go for.

It could be a pretty good vac, looks like it, and the price seems right.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 06:04:38 pm »
Jp, called the company.  The gal I talked to did not have great info.  While I was talking to her, she asked another employee about the size of the "catch box".  She was told it holds 4-5 pounds of bees.  Extra boxes are available for around $35. 

The website could have a bit more info, but with what she told me I think I am going to give it a go.  $120+$35+shipping.  Not too bad really....at least it looks like it to me.

If I don't like it I can always buckle down and try building Robo's.  Just don't have the time. 

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 08:53:37 am »
I finally bit the bullet and bought a vac.  I bought the least expensive (maybe the cheapest??? ;) ) one I found.  It was the "Owen's Bee Vac". 

It came last night.  It is the only one I have ever seen in person, so I have nothing to compare it to.  Not unimpressed, but a little heavier than I expected. 

The tube that the bees flow through to enter the cage is nearly in the middle (top to bottom).  This seems like it would keep you from being able to have more than a pound or two of bees in it.  It seems like it should enter closer to the top of the cage.  I will find out, I guess.  I have two and possibly a third removal to use it on in the next week or so. 

No matter what, it is much more manageable than my crudely modified huge shop vac.   :-D