Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Deeper hive bodies and frames?  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Dange

• House Bee
Deeper hive bodies and frames?
« on: March 07, 2014, 10:58:26 am »
  I was pondering why hasnt anyone made a hive body to the size equevalant of a deep and a medium super together and frames that would fit this.  i know that it would be really heavy to move but wouldnt it make the hive more realistic to wild combs?  Also would this hinder or help ventalation?  would less air space be a benefit for queen pheromones?  just wondering.  New lol

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Deeper hive bodies and frames?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 11:02:03 am »
Pulling out frames for inspection would be a pain with that design.
Why don't you try some and report back?

Moots

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 11:38:23 am »
  I was pondering why hasnt anyone made a hive body to the size equevalant of a deep and a medium super together and frames that would fit this.  i know that it would be really heavy to move but wouldnt it make the hive more realistic to wild combs?  Also would this hinder or help ventalation?  would less air space be a benefit for queen pheromones?  just wondering.  New lol

** emphasis added

I think you answered your own question as to why it's not done!  :-D

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:54:44 am »
There were sizes nearly that deep and they fell mostly out of use because of the weight.  These deeper boxes still have adherents.  Non standard stuff is expensive too, so I wouldn't look for a big upswing in use.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 12:19:43 pm »
Non standard stuff is expensive too, so I wouldn't look for a big upswing in use.

Until you try to sell it  :roll: then you'll find its Worth nothing  :idunno:

mvh Edward  :-P
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:13:37 pm by edward »

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 01:47:30 pm »
Wrong.

Moots meet our newest invention called the wheel.  :laugh:

Offline Dange

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 02:30:36 pm »
That is what size i wanted. i am going to make it myself and use it just for brood.  in theory i wouldnt have to move the hive body making it actually lighter to use. I would just removing the frames and any honey supers on top.

Offline GabrielP

• New Bee
    • Nature BeeLiving - my beekeeping/gardening blog
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 12:24:54 am »
Some may know that in Europe they still use a full size frame (300 mm tall) in horizontal boxes. When I learned beekeeping from my father we used this size frame in 8 frame boxes, plus 145 mm tall frames for supers (half frame), so we could put 2 supers on top and be able to place in them a full frame with no extra space at the bottom. The bees used to make a crown of honey over the brood in the full frame and since the brood never got over the crown, the colonies were smaller in size (or strength) than the production colonies we see here. So slowly, my father went to 230 mm frames (deep size) to be able to expand the colonies. Nowadays he is converting to 145 mm only (shallows) so he can lift the boxes easier. I have seen custom boxes that are square and use square frames (a bit shorter and taller than the deep frames) so they can winter with the frames parallel to the entrance, but switch them back to standard orientation during the warm season. The bees don't care about the frame size, they adapt to work with anything, it's all for the beekeeper's mood or strength to choose which size he uses.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 12:35:13 am »
I have seen custom boxes that are square and use square frames (a bit shorter and taller than the deep frames) so they can winter with the frames parallel to the entrance, but switch them back to standard orientation during the warm season.

We have this in sweden and call it cold or warm building ..

I have langsthroth hives so I dont botther.

Moots

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:00 am »

Blue,
When I said, weight is probably why it's not done, I meant as a mainstream widely used standard.  I never meant to imply that it had never been done.  Of course there's always a hand full of folks who feel the need to do things differently, if for no other reason, simply just to be different. Something tells me you know a little something about that.... ;)

Now...Tell me more about this thing called a wheel!   :-D

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 01:10:49 am »
Now...Tell me more about this thing called a wheel!   :-D

Is this what you were thinking about ?  :-D

Mythbusters - Square Wheels

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 03:56:00 am »
 I was pondering why hasnt anyone made a hive body to the size equevalant of a deep and a medium super together and frames that would fit this.  i know that it would be really heavy to move but wouldnt it make the hive more realistic to wild combs?  Also would this hinder or help ventalation?  would less air space be a benefit for queen pheromones?  just wondering.  New lol

A company you may have heard did built one Dadant (Charles Dadant) at is call  the  DADANT HIVE.

http://www.dadant.com/history

The only place I know that still makes these in production today is THORNE BEEHIVES in Great Britain.
You can download their catalog

http://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=common/home

Dadant stop production of this hive many years ago.  Some people called it the square hive I believe the measures were 19 5/8" X19 5/8" by 12''
Also do a search on this site Jumbo Hive

Britain still produce about 10 or 12 different kinds of hives and you will see this in the Thorne bee supply house catalog.

If you would like to see a lot of odd equipment that has been built a round the world.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/textlinks.html

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 05:58:37 pm »
Wrong.

Square wheels went out before the stone ages,proof being that they made round ones out of stone!! :-D :-D
 Brood frames would not  be so heavy as honey combs. I think Robo had some double deep frames and comb at one time too. This concept kind of demonstrates why it's good idea not to tear out the bridge comb between boxes in the fall. It makes it easier for the bees to climb to the next box when they need to move.

anything