Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms!!!!!!!  (Read 3576 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Swarms!!!!!!!
« on: March 16, 2013, 08:00:31 pm »
More to report. 
Got called at work yesterday.  Had a swarm at a friends house that was described as basketball size.
Got off at 3 and headed straight out. No swarm.  They moved  :hissyfit:

Came home from work and noticed the scout bees that were working the stack of dead out moth eaten boxes that are on my back porch were not working the box.   
Was on the phone with my wife and noticed that they were gone and told her there was a swarm in the yard somewhere and got off phone. 
Walked into the back yard and my wonderful satsuma tree had a 5 pounder hanging on it.  :-D :-D

I think my tally so far is 10 but will have to go count to be sure.
Good luck to all this swarm season!
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Swarms!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 08:33:43 pm »
Sounds like you are having plenty of luck.  Good Going and good luck.

Joe

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2013, 09:49:51 pm »
You know Bailey you are one lucky bum!!

Very happy for you.  :)

Did I mention also a little jealous.  :-D

Hope you have many more.

David

ps. just found out my swarm trap I ordered is delayed.  :'(
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 10:19:38 pm »
Georgia boy.
Just make some dcoats plywood nucs. 
They are the best traps I have found and they are great nucs as well. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Moots

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 10:32:21 pm »
Bailey,

Mark me down as both officially happy for you.....AND JEALOUS!  :)

Hope the streak stays hot for you!  :-D

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 10:40:18 pm »
You and me both. !!!!!
Bailey

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 11:04:47 pm »
Thanks Bailey...Got the plans.

Appreciate it.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline PLAN-B

• House Bee
  • When all else fails go to PLAN-BEE
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 12:32:42 am »
I'll drink to that.... Awesome  :cheer:
Marshall

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 01:26:19 am »
Bailey, Any swarms took your traps yet.

I checked on mine the other day. No swarms in them yet, but had scouts checking out a few. Last year my traps really started getting hot first week of April.
Who Dat!!!

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 11:43:52 am »
Bailey, Any swarms took your traps yet.

I checked on mine the other day. No swarms in them yet, but had scouts checking out a few. Last year my traps really started getting hot first week of April.

Same here gov right across the miss river from ya in Reserve. they are looking but none yet. I have four total but all my nucs I have now are committed to bees getting from Bailey and don't have time to make more. Used one yesterday on a swarm and can see being short of equipment soon when things start popping.
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2013, 12:49:54 pm »
usually i get my first calls around march 15 but looking at my drone population i'm going to says it'll be closer to april 1.  there does seem to be a decent flow coming on right now but i'm not sure what it is.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2013, 01:06:19 pm »
Up here we are getting a lot of blooming trees and shrubs. Don't know if they are nectar producing or pollen and since I don't have my bees yet I'll never know. I am dying to get started and feel like I am miss out on everything. Thank God next year will be better for me since it will be my second year and everything will be set up.

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline fshrgy99

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2013, 01:35:31 pm »
and here I sit waiting for the snow to melt  :'(

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2013, 02:35:19 pm »
Gov.   And blanc.
only one trap hit so far.  Scouts on multiple so it won't be long.  
One or two days of sun. Warm and still winds and I expect them to start hitting the traps heavy!
I have a lot more to deploy so I am hanging more out tomorrow.  
I'm hoping to run out of available wooden ware before long then I can concentrate on some serious crabbing!!
Bailey

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »

Gov.   And blanc.
One or two days of sun. Warm and still winds and I expect them to start hitting the traps heavy!
I'm hoping to run out of available wooden ware before long then I can concentrate on some serious crabbing!!
Bailey

Love those crabs  :-D
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »
Gov.   And blanc.
Bailey

I hear you. One step ahead of you. Put some crab traps out last week.  Don't know which one I like doing better, Checking Swarm Traps or Crab Traps. Oh, cant forget about my crawfish traps too. I think i'm getting too busy with all these traps.  :-D
Who Dat!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 12:26:25 am »
I don't trap crabs.  Use drop nets and work the crap out of them for 3 to 4 hours.  Then we always have enough to go home. 
Bailey

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:18:00 am »
I don't trap crabs.  Use drop nets and work the crap out of them for 3 to 4 hours.  Then we always have enough to go home. 
Bailey

I use nets also and just run the traps when im short on time. We were catching very well in the Norco spillway a couple weeks ago.
Who Dat!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 01:24:48 am »
Another trap got hit today. Saw it was active while going to work this afternoon.
I'm loving this.
Bailey

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 01:42:46 am »
I went take a look at a few of my traps this afternoon and a couple had alot of activity. Wont be surprised if a couple of mine get hit in the next day or two. Checked a few of my hives today and they are loading up on nectar. Seems like they are getting alot more nectar this year than the same time last year.
Who Dat!!!

anything