Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's the deal with . . .  (Read 2350 times)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
What's the deal with . . .
« on: May 25, 2006, 06:59:15 pm »
bees filling in the area between the top bars and up the cut out of the inner cover with burr comb?

Sure, it's pretty, but time and again I scrape it away and they rebuild it during the week.

I have two hives, one does it, the other doesn't. The problems is that the weaker hive is doing it. Wish they would put their energy into comb building on the foundation.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline mark

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:12:15 pm »
sounds like frames need to be closer.  give them a frame with just a starter strip and let them direct their efforts there.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 11:09:30 pm »
To many newbees try to start with 9 frames in brood box.  Don't as this practice encourages the bees to build burr comb. Brood boxes should be 10 frames exclusively--save the 9 spacing for the honey supers.  
Also I've found Caucasian bees tend to drift towards excessive burr comb building.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 09:13:49 am »
Maybe the inner cover is upside down.  A little burr is not an issue.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 11:30:45 am »
I've got 10 frames in the box and have since they were hived on April 12th. All are pushed together with any extra space left on the outside. About 2 weeks ago I removed the hive top feeder and this is when they began building the brace comb.

I have the inner cover with the notch on top. is that not correct?
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 05:47:09 pm »
I believe that is correct, but then I build my own stuff so I use 3/8" on both sides so it doesn't matter.  And as noted a little burr is to be expected. I'd actually worry if there wasn't a little.  Try leaving the burr comb in place, just make sure you can still open the inner top.  
You didn't indicate how full the hive is, even if it is the weaker of the 2 it may be telling you it needs more room.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 06:10:44 pm »
Quote from: Brian D. Bray

You didn't indicate how full the hive is, even if it is the weaker of the 2 it may be telling you it needs more room.

Good call there Brian. I inspected a little over a week ago and there were 6 frames drawn. I am no longer feeding, so I don't think they are filling the brood chamber with sugar water.

I will inspect tomorrow and hope that the issue is space. If so, I will give them another. Maybe they are finally building up now that they have had brood emerging for the past two weeks or so.