Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Shredded wings or wing stubs  (Read 3036 times)

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
Shredded wings or wing stubs
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:47 pm »
This afternoon I found two bees with what appeared to be shredded wings or just wing stubs.  I had seen this before and I thought that this was just a older forager that was about at the end of it's life  ..... or perhaps a bee that had defended the hive.

These bees did not have a "K" shaped set of wings, which I understand indicates a disease. There is no apparent deformity. The wings are shredded or torn/ripped.

Am I correct in assuming that this is just normal "wear and tear" on an older bee?

Regards,
Tucker1

He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Shredded wings or wing stubs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:21:30 pm »
If they look like these than it is DWV (deformed wing virus), usually bought on by the stress of a heavy mite population.

Though this year I have noticed a few hives that have a few that do not have heavy mite loads, so possibly the lousy cold/wet weather is stressing them :?

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:22:05 pm »
On my bees when I see wings that look "wilted" or stubs, I assume the bees have deformed wing virus, one of the viruses vectored by the Varroa mite.  Time for a powdered sugar shake!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Tucker1

• House Bee
  • "The Morning Breaks, The Shadows Flee.....
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:22:56 am »
Thanks for the information. I'll start with the powered sugar this week-end.  Appreciate the help.
He who would gather honey must bear the sting of the bees.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 02:31:06 am »
I am bumping this as the pictures described and featured by Robo are very
educational and some of you might appreciate them as much as I.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 09:01:14 pm »
On my bees when I see wings that look "wilted" or stubs, I assume the bees have deformed wing virus, one of the viruses vectored by the Varroa mite.  Time for a powdered sugar shake!

Linda T in Atlanta
If DWV is prevalent to the degree that you're observing it you probably need something more effective than a powdered sugar shake but really whatcha need is a time machine to get back to last September.

What is the flow like in Atlanta?  Do you have supers on? Has the colony in question swarmed already this spring?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 09:05:23 pm »
If they look like these than it is DWV (deformed wing virus), usually bought on by the stress of a heavy mite population.

Though this year I have noticed a few hives that have a few that do not have heavy mite loads, so possibly the lousy cold/wet weather is stressing them :?

Those are still last year's bees up where you are. So even if you gave them OA in Nov/Dec (I'm guessing at your practice) and got the mite count to .5/100, the virus and effects are still in the colony at whatever levels it was when the winter bees were brooded. 

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 10:52:02 pm »
Those are still last year's bees up where you are. So even if you gave them OA in Nov/Dec (I'm guessing at your practice) and got the mite count to .5/100, the virus and effects are still in the colony at whatever levels it was when the winter bees were brooded. 

Hi Matt,
Actually that picture was posted several years ago. I found this topic while doing a search in the 'knowledge packed' archives and realized its education value, so I bumped it.

As you may know, Robo 'himself',  is a 'walking, talking', 'wealth' of beekeeping information as well as a beekeeping legend! We are blessed here at Beemater to have him as a fellow member 'in many ways'. He is also a very good 'speaker' on the subject of bees and his knowledge is 'far reaching'...

As a side note:
For you who may not know 'Robo' is "THE INVENTOR" of the "World Famous" RoBo Bee Vac which may be 'seen and is hailed' on many Youtube Channels featuring bee removal videos etc.

Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 09:31:28 pm »

Hi Matt,
Actually that picture was posted several years ago. I found this topic while doing a search in the 'knowledge packed' archives and realized its education value, so I bumped it.

As you may know, Robo 'himself',  is a 'walking, talking', 'wealth' of beekeeping information as well as a beekeeping legend! We are blessed here at Beemater to have him as a fellow member 'in many ways'. He is also a very good 'speaker' on the subject of bees and his knowledge is 'far reaching'...

As a side note:
For you who may not know 'Robo' is "THE INVENTOR" of the "World Famous" RoBo Bee Vac which may be 'seen and is hailed' on many Youtube Channels featuring bee removal videos etc.

Phillip
You bumped a post from 09 to the front page? How is that helping anyone?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2023, 09:52:04 pm »
Matt I appreciate your thoughts shared in reply 5 and 6, as well as all the good stuff you share and contribute here at Beemaster. As I understand it, this virus is still not conquered? It can and does pop up from time to time?

We have several new members here, (some in the beginner stages of beekeeping), who might not know of this problem. In that way it 'is' reverent, as the more knowledge 'shared', the better for the beekeeping community as a whole IMHO. Robos' good picture 'may be' remembered if anyone experiences this virus in the future which can only be of help..

Phillip

« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 10:26:35 pm by Ben Framed »

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 06:49:17 am »
DWV was observed many decades ago if not centuries.  It was isolated and cultured in 1982 by Bill Bailey and Brenda Ball.  Well before Varroa was an issue here.  It was Varroa that caused it to spread fast enough to be an issue.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 08:45:47 am »
Thanks for the insight Michael. Thumbs up.. 😊

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 03:16:16 pm »
It's quite complex, at least 3 master strains  ( DWV A,B and C) with A associated with more lethality than B etc....complex problem yet to be fully unravelled.
Noticeably the predominant strain of DWV found in many "varroa resistant" strains is the the relatively begin "B" strain.