Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the colony?  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
the colony?
« on: August 02, 2010, 05:37:08 pm »
anybody watching this?  i am 1/2 way through the 1st episode and it's fascinating.  i taped it so i can finish it all later but i can already see where there are going to be personality conflict and it is a little troubling that no one person has emerged as the leader.  seems there are several that have some leadership skills, but that can be a blessing and a curse.

i would love to do something like this show!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline slacker361

• Field Bee
    • Thank You Honey
Re: the colony?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 05:43:32 pm »
wasnt this on before , i thought I saw it before

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 06:35:16 pm »
I thought I saw it or something on like it before.  They had to make electricity and crap for no reason.  Friends of mine live with no electric just fine, they heat with wood.  People from the city just think differently.... about what you need to live and be happy. :)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:01:34 pm »
the scenario is that there has been a major disaster and these people have been dropped in a 4 block compound with minimal supplies.  they have to create shelter and find food.  they also have to defend against outsiders who raid their stuff.

the have done pretty well on everything but security.  they have been attacked twice and had stuff stolen.  it's pretty funny.  they found that trying to share with outsiders got them attacked.  they have one guy who's not pulling his weight.  i'm waiting to see if they tell him he can't eat if he doesn't work.  maybe tonight?   :-D

if they don't figure out labor assignments and do something about security they are not going to make it for the 50 days.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 07:47:53 pm »
This is a second season.

In a real situation as this I think I would first be hitting the local gun shops.

Yeah they wouldn't want me on the show  :jerry:
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 08:00:41 pm »
the fights are a little lame.  they could have killed each other with those pipes if they'd really wanted to.   the psychological breakdown in very interesting.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »
I remember seeing the ads for it, which channel is it on and when? 

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 07:06:24 pm »
 KathyP is following John's footsteps!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 07:15:21 pm »
there are only a few shows i really like.  sometimes i record stuff that looks good but never get around to watching it.  winter days much better for catch up  :-D

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 12:58:39 pm »
It's so Interesting how human quickly form packs with a leader, but unlike the cavemen of 200 thousand years ago, or their barely improved human in the Ice Age, man as a social creature IS very interesting and OFTEN predictable in how they formulate situations and quickly form a plan.

Whether Survivor, Big Brother, Solitaire 2.0/3.0 ( I wonder how long a season takes to play - I bet 7 to 10 days to film Solitaire) and Colony, any show where we must make order out of chaos) we rarely pick the best person for the leader role though. Most any reality show develops new powerful and true leaders that take over the position WITHOUT much fight. Very civilized rather than primal.

Got to admit, I enjoy it, that is why I have a dedicated computer whos monitor is right her next to my chair with 24 hour 4 cam view of Big Brother 12 House, it is week 3 of 11. Well worth the $39 I paid. You have to use 3rd party software to have the best interface. I love having the whole screen covered with the 4 cams, I just switch which audio I want to listen to - or listen to as many or as few as I wish.

This is a VERY different season - Showmances, as romances formed on the show have usually been ripped to pieces early, but not just one but two showmance are taking place and one couple have some magic spell on the house, using the term WE and literally sitting like the God Father hearing their pleas. Weird and so interesting, you can see how Empires were born. In small groups COUPLES who are leader personalities are very powerful, even great cities have been ruled by couples. Yep... Interesting year.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 08:04:41 pm »
OK, I caught it on Hulu.  My only question is after faking the first fight with the pipes, what do you think they said when they got hit with pepper spray and run over for real?   

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 06:31:01 pm »
WWF Restling fake! :-D

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 07:40:27 pm »
i'd say yes to the pepper spray. i recognize that retching position.  the blood looked real.  :-)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 08:55:38 pm »
But you never saw the colonist using the poles they made with nails sticking out the ends.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 08:59:07 pm »
When and what channel is this show on? I had heard of this before when it had been on but found out afterwards and missed it.
I don't usually watch tv so I never know half of what is on but this I would like to see.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2010, 09:02:18 pm »
It is on the Discovery Channel.  Tues. at 10.   A little late for me.   I watched it on HULU.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2010, 09:33:04 pm »
Thanks! :)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 11:02:21 pm »
Yes, this is at least the second season.  I saw parts of it last year, too.  It is just interesting to think about how you would have to live without being able to go to the grocery store and buy food (having a bee hive would help!!!!) and how you build things w/out power tools, although they always seem to think of a way to make electricity/generate power and store it.

I think they must pick the participants to make sure a few of them have some basic knowedge of engineering, biology/science, basic construction, etc. so they can reconstruct the stuff they need, i.e. engine's, water purification systems, electrical generators, etc.

I am sure the fights have to be staged in some way so that no one really gets hurt, otherwise it might be hard to get people to agree to live under those conditions w/the possibility of serious bodily harm. 
linda d

Offline CountryBee

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 08:36:59 am »
Did you ever need an engine to kill a deer?  Or electric to heat a cabin?  Or a chemist to hand sharpen a hand saw to cut trees for heat?  I would want the biggest farmer I could find and be his friend!  Do they all live in the "concrete jungle" where you have to steel to eat and live or do they move out to the country where they can grow food, make maple surup, honey, corn(which is the basis for a lot out here), cut trees for heat and buildings, leaves for insulation, cattails for bread, chickeree for coffee, apples for cider(regular and hard :)).  Their are so many opportunities out in the country.  I miss seeing the opportunities if the world ends in the cities.  What are they?  Not trying to upset anyone, just do not understand.  Just like starving people, why not start walking.  Walk somewhere else.  Anywhere.  They are starving, what could be worse, anything could be better!  All the farms here that I know will feed anyone.  We will feed anyone.  The churches here feed anyone, they even have beds!  But we still have people in the same streets starving.....try walking somewhere else.  Don't just sit there and starve ya know.  It is a crazy world.  So much I do not understand, maybe as I get older I will, right now it just upsets me.  People starving.  In America.  America's shame or American's ignorance?

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2010, 08:28:30 pm »
WWF Restling fake! :-D

How dare you say that.  I am on of the mindless zombi's that think its all real. :-D
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/