Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should I check my broodnest  (Read 1579 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
Should I check my broodnest
« on: October 04, 2013, 03:40:54 pm »
I did a combine with a package and installed a package in another hive on Sept 5. Should I just let them alone for awhile or do I need to check the broodnest. Both are bringing in lots of pollen. Pepperbush and Skunk Vine are blooming, as well as, Spanish Needle.

I've only been in to remove the empty Queen cages a few days after installing them.

There should be emerging bees and I've been watching for larger orientation flights. The R hive seems to be doing larger flights...it was also a larger package. The L hive seems to be getting larger orientation..but are more defensive. We were gone for a week and when I got back I was using a machete to chop down some plants in front of the hive and got stung 3 times. I normally use a weed eater.... Maybe I slashed a bee or just caught them off guard....or on guard. :bee:

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
Re: Should I check my broodnest
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 05:39:31 pm »
It has been nearly a month, I'd check. Temps are still warm in our area so my bees are still pretty active. I can't see how it would hurt.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:44:21 pm »
Ya brought a knife to a gunfight :-D! It's that time of year for em to get jittery. Last year I got chased out of a yard using a weed whacker, came back w/ a weed blade & got chased out again, so I waited til a.good cool morning.
I say inspect your hives, go in just enough to see eggs & pattern & call it a day.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 10:36:11 pm by rwlaw »
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 12:23:27 am »
after a month i'd go through them.

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 01:11:40 pm »
Checked both hives.  Capped brood in both. Once I saw that and repaired a frame in one of the hives..I closed up before I did any damage. I love going in...but then I spend the next few weeks worrying I've killed the Queen. Didn't look for her ...just brood.
I was concerned about the original hive that had been combined. I lost some bees to robbers before I could get screens up...but it was the first two days after combining so I don't think the Queen was in jeopardy...but I was worried about it.
Here is one of the frames from that hive.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »
 <I love going in...but then I spend the next few weeks worrying I've killed the Queen>

...that makes two of us.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.