Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you know what queen rearing mettod this is.  (Read 7362 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Do you know what queen rearing mettod this is.
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:58:50 pm »
I found a queen rearing method one time where you took a small pipe and pushed it over a cell with a fresh egg in it then dip the bottom in wax or something to stick to your queen cell frame and with a puff of air pushed the cell with egg back out.  It is supposed to be fast and easy.  I dint know if it would be a great way but I want to read up on it again.  Has anybody read about this method.  If so what is it called or where can I find the info again.

anybody?
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
Re: Do you know what queen rearing mettod this is.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 06:31:02 am »
That's the puchout method of getting queen cells with correct aged larva. Queen Rearing On A Shoestring has a great looking system that uses that method...
http://www.durhambeekeepers.org/robandrews.html

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:09:29 pm »
Generally called the "cell punch" method.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 10:58:56 pm »
That's the puchout method of getting queen cells with correct aged larva. Queen Rearing On a Shoestring has a great looking system that uses that method...
http://www.durhambeekeepers.org/robandrews.html

Brilliant!  I'm not seeing any pictures, but the text is descriptive enough that they aren't really needed.  Thanks for the link.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:40:28 am »
Yes, I don't know why the pics aren't there, for me either.
Oh, here, I found a better link I guess...

http://www.mancina.vispa.com/cleveland/robandrews.html

This one has the pics

Yea, thanks Michael for correcting me, Cell Punch, not Punchout!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 12:13:16 pm »
The pictures actually are helpful.  This method looks good to me because it doesn't require a big investment in equipment, doesn't involve grafting, and doesn't waste a whole frame of brood.  And it looks like it should produce just as good quality as the methods that do.  I think this is just what I've been looking for.

In the article Mr. Andres says that he is writing the article in the middle of winter, but doesn't really say when would be the ideal time to actually do it.  I know that you raise queens when you need queens as long as drones are available, but what is a "good" time to do this for expanding your bee yard? 
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 02:18:54 pm »
>what is a "good" time to do this for expanding your bee yard? 

It depends on your seasons.  Here (Southeast Nebraska) a good time is from about the middle of May to the middle of July.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:13:17 pm »
>what is a "good" time to do this for expanding your bee yard? 

It depends on your seasons.  Here (Southeast Nebraska) a good time is from about the middle of May to the middle of July.

What is the phenology for that season?  In my region apple and maple trees bloom around the middle of March, and May first is almost always frost free - about the time that apple blossoms fall.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2009, 03:32:31 am »
Thanks for links and info.

Some day I will find the original method I am looking for.  There are many versions of It now I see.

The one I am trying to find used a unique method.  The person took a pipe and pushed it over the cell then would physically blow the cell out of the pipe.  I can not remember how many he could do in a minute but It was a lot.  I think this method may be more or less lost.  I think the stuff I read was from a very long time ago.

After researching this a little, I like the method on bush's website where you cut a row out and destroy every other cell and hang it upside down above brood nest.  Seems very simple and effective.  I think I will try this next year.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 07:58:00 pm »
Try the pdf file on IMN method of queen rearing on this site.

http://www.mdasplitter.com/
John 3:16

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 07:32:56 pm »
sc-bee

Thanks for the link.  Very cool stuff.

Thomas Jefferson