Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I can't believe my luck!  (Read 2839 times)

Offline orvette1

• House Bee
I can't believe my luck!
« on: July 15, 2009, 01:58:28 am »
In Hawaii we can only buy queens from Hawaii. There is only one place that will sell queens to us on Oahu.  I had to wait 6 months before I could order 2 new queens.  I put them in two nucs. I went down there today to make sure they got out of the cage. They hadn't, so I opened one and shook her to the bottom.  Before I could get the top back on she climbed to the top and flew away!  The second one almost got away also! Now I have to wait for another 2-3 months before I can get a new queen.  I can't believe my luck!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
Re: I can't believe my luck!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 06:09:18 am »
That sure is bad luck.

Do you have any eggs that you can use to breed your own?

Mick

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 06:37:53 am »
Perhaps your luck will make a turn for the better and the queens will come back by the end of the day.

Offline charles

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 04:06:40 pm »
Before I could get the top back on she climbed to the top and flew away! 

Mating flight.
4 hives

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 04:15:12 pm »
usually when you buy queens they are mated.  at least CONUS they are.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 10:50:23 am »
Orvette, what a bummer.  Perhaps she may fly back, you never know, and I surely do hope so.  That is so surprising that you are so close to where the Kona Hawaiian queens are raised that there is such a long time to get one on order.  They are probably too busy exporting the queens all over the world to pay closer attention to those that are close to them.  Sorry about that for you, it is sad.  Have a wonderful day, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service