Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can anyone identify this woody plant/tree/bush?  (Read 2457 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
Can anyone identify this woody plant/tree/bush?
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:24:10 am »

This plant grows all over our property.  It is a pain in the butt, but has loads of little flowers.  Is it anything that benefits the bees?  I rarely see bees on it, so I assume not.  Just curious about it, and what it is. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Moots

Re: Can anyone identify this woody plant/tree/bush?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:37:32 am »
Maybe Honeysuckle?

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 08:47:04 am »
Yes, Lonicera mackii. Invasive Asian species.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:20:40 am »
I don't think the bee's tongue is long enough to utilize it.

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:32:34 am »
I was just talking with my wife about that yesterday. Honey bees are all over our blueberries but it seems they get nectar from holes cut into the sides of the flowers. I don't remember if it's carpenter bees or some others that cut the holes. Have never seen the same on Lonicera japonica or L. mackii. Maybe the flowers are tougher or taste really bad so whoever cuts open the sides of the blueberries doesn't go for honeysuckle.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline BAH

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 11:03:40 am »
Asian Bush Honeysuckle
Lonicera maackii, L. tatarica, L. morrowii, L. X bella
Amur, Tartarian, Morrow’s, Belle’s honeysuckle

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/Bush_Honeysuckle.pdf

Be glad bees don't pollinate this plant, I was reading that some do however. You should chop down all you find and continue to plant other flowers and such in it place. If you read the above link you will find out why. Remember bees do not see the color red, so pick a lot of purple flowers. Good luck I read that the Asian Bush Honeysuckle is a real pain in rear, so you have some work if you intend to get rid of it. Know that you are not alone in that battle tho, also remember take care with the chemicals used in killing that bush, so not to hurt your bees.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 12:00:11 pm »
I was just talking with my wife about that yesterday. Honey bees are all over our blueberries but it seems they get nectar from holes cut into the sides of the flowers. I don't remember if it's carpenter bees or some others that cut the holes. Have never seen the same on Lonicera japonica or L. mackii. Maybe the flowers are tougher or taste really bad so whoever cuts open the sides of the blueberries doesn't go for honeysuckle.

i think bumblebees cut the holes.

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 10:41:41 am »
Thanks, for the input on this plant.  I appreciate it.  Especially appreciate the link to the DNR website.  I've got my work cut out for me. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 01:00:04 pm »
Lamarkii's flower tube is actually guite short. It is honey bees favourite. Actually bees visit so often that flower has no time to make new nectar..
Language barrier NOT included

Offline JDsBees

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 07:13:32 pm »
Joker,   

Bush Honeysuckle is very difficult to get rid of.  You can't just cut it down as it just grows back. You need to cut and use a strong herbacide like Glyphosate (which I DON'T like using) on the stump. In the fall it gets red berries that birds eat and then spreads in the droppings which spreads the plant like wildfire.  I have been on a mission to eradicate it from my propery (10 acres) and have been at it a couple of years.   Once cut and sprayed you will need to continue to monitor and spray once in the spring and once in the fall of any new plants or growth.   The problem with this plant is it creates a canopy that keeps desirable hard wood like oaks, hickory, and maples from being able to grow.    Good Luck!