Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm locations  (Read 9107 times)

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
Swarm locations
« on: October 04, 2010, 04:12:02 am »
Has anyone noticed a pattern in the swarm locations? I'm noticing some 'hot spots' where I get several calls within a couple of streets of each other.

In one case I'm guessing they're from a feral hive.
'We have had bees living in our chimney for a while now, but these ones are in our grapefruit tree.'

Those of you collecting swarms what are your favourites comments/description from the people calling?

Offline Pete

• House Bee
Re: Swarm locations
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 04:52:44 am »
Frankston Sth is a real hotspot.  So is Brighton, but i am getting calls from Brighton a lot as my advert said "no fee unless complicated"...have changed it to "fee charged" today.\

Its the established areas with lot of big trees etc

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:50:32 am »
I picked one of the Brighton swarms today. Italians. Very good tempermant. I had to wait until nearly full darkness before they had all come home. A good sign. Hard workers!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 01:54:18 pm »
When a hive swarms, there are good odds that it will swarm again in a week or two.   And once a swarm lands and leaves it's scent there, there is a good chance that another swarm will land in the same location.

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:45:10 pm »
When a hive swarms, there are good odds that it will swarm again in a week or two.   And once a swarm lands and leaves it's scent there, there is a good chance that another swarm will land in the same location.

I'm seeing that.

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 06:28:00 pm »
I think 2 of my recent swarms have re swarmed. What can be done to encourage them to stay put?

My neighbours that i am worried about getting agro over the bees have not a small swarm on their fence...i am sure it will move into their roof next!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 07:38:48 pm »
Cage the queen.

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 09:17:06 pm »
Move them in to a full sized box with a seperate base and put a Queen Excluder between the super and the base. You also need to assess why they have re-swarmed too! i'd say they have filled the boxes you put them in... I have a swarm that i caught four weeks ago and she has put out 7 Queen Cells - they will be getting put in a bigger box this weekend and split with the Queen cells (if they're capped by now), some brood and stores put in a nuc

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 11:34:44 pm »
OzBuzz,
It would behoove (been waiting a week to use that word :-D) you to take the queen away for the split and leave the cells in the original hive...a "false swarm".

If you take the cells away for a split the mother hive might swarm anyway and wouldn't be able to raise a new queen.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 11:57:19 pm »
2 have swarmed now :( They are in full sized boxes. Some with supers, no excluders. One i tried a newspaper combine on and i think one of the colonies absconded. The other was last night and i havent worked out where it came from yet.

I think a big read on swarm control this weekend. My neighbours wont like heaps of swarms :(

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 12:20:53 am »
I think a big read on swarm control this weekend. My neighbours wont like heaps of swarms :(

:'( I feel for you mate!

Offline OzBuzz

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:04 am »
OzBuzz,
It would behoove (been waiting a week to use that word :-D) you to take the queen away for the split and leave the cells in the original hive...a "false swarm".

If you take the cells away for a split the mother hive might swarm anyway and wouldn't be able to raise a new queen.

Scott

Yeah spot on, you need to do a simulated swarm

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 01:15:15 am »
darn, biggest hot spot is in front of my place. The lovely wife just called me to tell me they've done it again. At least they're in my front garden this time!

Hey Slicko, what was your swarm count last year?

Offline westmar

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 03:54:06 am »
Phil are they coming out your hives or are they swarms coming in.suppose to early to tell yet?had a old feller tell me once with swarms he allways used replace queen.as you don't no what you are getting with them.good luck mate

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 09:02:51 am »
darn, biggest hot spot is in front of my place. The lovely wife just called me to tell me they've done it again. At least they're in my front garden this time!

Hey Slicko, what was your swarm count last year?

Didn't keep a close count last year but would estimate about 8 in my backyard and 4 from around the burbs before I pulled my name off the board

Mick

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 11:14:12 am »
That's 5 out the front from 2 hives for me.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 12:35:37 pm »
I got kind of lucky this spring.  Two weeks before I hived my first pkg of bees, unbeknown  to me at the time, a neighbor 4 houses away had a swarm in a tree and called an exterminator to get rid of it.  (soooo wished I had known about it.)  But the point is, there's either another beekp fairly close by or a feral colony around (live on a small 56 acre lake in the city) and I can now easily claim that any future swarms that land in neighbors' yards aren't necessarily mine.

I did catch one small swarm in August I am sure was mine as it was hanging just 4 feet from my hive in a Yaupon tree.

Question:  Does the first swarm from a crowded hive always take the reigning queen with it and leave the supersedure queen(s) to take over?  So then an afterswarm would necessarily have a supersedure queen.
linda d

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »
Question:  Does the first swarm from a crowded hive always take the reigning queen with it and leave the supersedure queen(s) to take over?  So then an afterswarm would necessarily have a supersedure queen.

The only keep I know of besides myself is the neighbour 3 houses down, who I only found out about as I was talking his wife next to one of the swarms last week.

I did get a cluster swarm reports about a km away in one direction, and another 2km in the other. I don't know of any ferals in close proximity to me. I would have got them if I'ld known!

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 12:25:49 am »
That's 5 out the front from 2 hives for me.

Make that 7. 2 more in next door's front yard!  :oops:

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 06:33:28 am »
The Merri Creek is known for swarms. Used to set lures and harvest a few years ago. Since the regreening of the Merri Creek banks there probably more lchance of swarms nowadays. Not that many k's from Coburg.