Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Japanese Bicycle  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Japanese Bicycle
« on: July 10, 2008, 11:00:54 pm »
I bet you are wondering how I am going to get a Japanese Bicycle into HONEYBEE REMOVAL.  :?

So this lady calls me today. She has bees in a hollow tree. One bee stung someone and she was wondering if there was a way to save them. The guy was sawing a few branches off the tree and then was weed eating close to the tree when he got popped. So I went out to see the situation. The tree is grown up into power lines and telephone lines so I sure ain't gonna try to gut this thing down. There is a bottom entrance that the bees have pretty much propolized over and about 4 -5 feet higher up there is a top opening. They moved in there a couple of months ago. Not sure there are that many bees in there. Wasn't much activity at 5:30 pm.

I am contemplating a trap out. Or we might just leave them there. She didn't want to kill them and after telling her some bee info she will tell her yardman how to keep from getting stung more.

So there was this old bicycle there and I asked about it. Her father, also living there, was dropped on Saipan back in WWII. They found this Japanese Supply Depot. There were several of these Bicycles in there and he got one shipped home. He rode it after the war during his college years until the tires wore out, and he couldn't get any that fit.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Japanese Bicycle
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 07:30:06 am »
Jerry,
No pic of the bike?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 08:00:15 am »
Noticed that did'ja?

I will try to remember to do that.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 10:31:21 am »
Fix the thing and ride it to a swarm removal and then you can re-post in this section! Minimally.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 06:22:12 pm »
Sorry, the bike didn't have anything to do with honeybee removal, it should be taken out of this post, Jerry, you are just a troublemaker trying to stir us up, it worked. :-P

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 08:00:50 pm »
Ok, I hate to be the party pooper but I lived in Japan for quite a while and Japanese bikes are pretty much the same as our bikes. Two wheels, handle bars etc. There is really nothing special about them. Not to take anything from the story, but like you said JP. Jerry is just trying to get us excited.
Mada Nihongo hanaseru kedo, nagai koto hanasanai kara soro soro wasureteiru!!! Genki de, gambate na!!!!
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 08:06:41 pm »
Ok, I hate to be the party pooper but I lived in Japan for quite a while and Japanese bikes are pretty much the same as our bikes. Two wheels, handle bars etc. There is really nothing special about them. Not to take anything from the story, but like you said JP. Jerry is just trying to get us excited.
Mada Nihongo hanaseru kedo, nagai koto hanasanai kara soro soro wasureteiru!!! Genki de, gambate na!!!!
F

Yeah, sucker punch!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 12:04:45 am »
More about how he got the bike than the bike.  :roll:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2008, 11:48:51 am »
More about how he got the bike than the bike.  :roll:

Put some bees on the bike and you can keep the bike in the post! :-D

...JP

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 04:57:18 pm »
FRANTZ- I speak no japanes, but I feel confident you broke the "family values" motto of beemaster!!!! Really, what did you say!?!?
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 07:01:59 pm »
OK, Ok, I swear on my life that all I said was. " I still speak Japanese, but as I don't get to talk much I am slowly forgetting. Good luck and have a nice day." That is all, ask Brian, he can verify it.
I promise, I promise, I promise.  :-D
I can teach you all the other stuff though, just PM me. I taught some college extension courses in Japanese after I got back.
One good thing about Utah, with 75K missionaries in the world, most of them from Utah, you can almost always find a guy close that can speak any language you can think off. When we did the olympics here in "02" it was a piece of cake.
F

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 05:19:11 pm »
Do you have satellite TV?
There is a channel called "G4". There is a show called "Ninja Warrior" one of those challenge type shows where people try to get through obstacles. The whole thing is spoken in Japanese with subtitles. That would keep you in practice.  :-D   

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 06:06:14 pm »
We do actually watch that. Along with a lot of Japanese cartoons. My kids love it and its good practice for them as well as I. Don't you just love Japanese TV. Totally different from ours. That is for sure.
I stay somewhat practiced by volunteering at the hospitals and such. We get enough tourists to keep me talking at least a few times a year. Lots of skiers in the winter.
F

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 09:18:30 pm »
Ok So I haven't gotten bac kto tell the lady we will wait until sprong before attempting this. So I haven't gotten a picture.

Frantz, My daughter says the Japanese language sounds.... what word did she use?... Angry? even when they are only excited.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2008, 12:03:22 am »
OK, Ok, I swear on my life that all I said was. " I still speak Japanese, but as I don't get to talk much I am slowly forgetting. Good luck and have a nice day." That is all, ask Brian, he can verify it.
I promise, I promise, I promise.  :-D
I can teach you all the other stuff though, just PM me. I taught some college extension courses in Japanese after I got back.
One good thing about Utah, with 75K missionaries in the world, most of them from Utah, you can almost always find a guy close that can speak any language you can think off. When we did the olympics here in "02" it was a piece of cake.
F

I have to remember that the Ho and Po sounds in Nippongo or Nihongo are almost identical in some local idioms.  I was in Chitose, Hokkaido (The large Northern Island) where the p or double p sound was used instead of the Ho sound so when I read if phonetically I stumbled a bit. I have forgotten what KataKana I knew and rely on phonetics these days.

For those who don't know Japanese be aware that the letter C consists of seperate characters for the sounds ca, ce, ci, co, cu, cha, che, chi, cho, and chu.  The sound "sue" is denoted as tsu.  So Domoarigato is spelled with characters for the sound Do, mo, al (the L is often pronounce similar to an R), go, to or 5 "letters."  The word No in Japanese can be any one of "Na, Nai, or Naii" depending on tense or gender (like in Spanish).  Na at the end of a sentence always denotes a question, i.e. "Wakadamastsu Nippingo, na?"  Asks if you understand Japanese.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!