Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Derekm's Hive  (Read 62035 times)

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
Re: Derekm's Hive
« Reply #120 on: December 07, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »
Usually one time.

Our summer is short.

Willows bloom 1.5-25.5
Apple and dandelion first week of June

Raspberry starts blooming 25.6 and blooms 2 weeks

Then it comes rape

Willow herb is 10.7-27.7

All are finish 10.8. and planst start to gather energy for wintering.

.We have much rain in best summer time.
Language barrier NOT included

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2012, 06:50:35 am »
 Do we really need migratory beeking?  ?  

I don't know, I'm asking.

You do not know? So you do not know much about beekeeping.
To many in this forum beekeeping is only a tool that you may fill you lonely days with discussing all king of stupid things.

Honey industry and honey production needs.  To catch and release beekeepers honey is a pure nuisance, so called "production waste".

Finski;  Maybe the question 'seems' stupid to you because you DO NOT understand it or DON'T KNOW the answer.  Why do you 'think' all the questions are for you anyway?  They're NOT.

Your opinion is enjoyed mostly by you.  You can't fool everyone.  Never fooled me anyway.  To be honest your "RUDE" comments have become light entertainment at best  :roll:

Still can't remove yourself from that throne you've placed yourself, heh?

It is my personal belief (and others too) that 'migratory' beekeeping, they way it is now conducted, has done more harm to honeybees than any other human caused factor.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2012, 07:30:29 am »
beek, change your medication. You have balls to say professional beekeepers what they ought to do. In my country or in Alaska you are not able to keep alive not a single hive.

It is my personal belief (and others too) that 'migratory' beekeeping, they way it is now conducted, has done more harm to honeybees than any other human caused factor.

So simple, if you make your living with bees, you need minimum 700 hives to run business.
You cannot keep hives in one place. You must migrate them. That is professional beekeeping.
Rape field blooms only 2 weeks. What do you do then with hives? You have still 50 weeks left in a year.

steady place do not give yield the whole year. So it is better to move hives from pasture to pasture.

Like my home yeard gives only 30 kg per hive, because there is not enough flowers for that hive number. So I move them 5-20 km away, and I may get there 100 kg hive and solitary hives may get 200 kg.

USA is the only place wher CCD exists. They move their hives to tropical conditions and winter their hives in summer conditions.
And like you, you get open feeding even in winter that bees have not winter rest. --- And you just feeded hives a month ago?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:05:22 am by Finski »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2012, 07:49:04 am »
Look at that where your hives winter

Florida out temp 26C/80F   http://www.weather.com/maps/activity/boatbeach/floridaforecasthighs_large.html

Anchorage Alaska 9F/- 13C
 Next 10 days 20F/ -5C

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2012, 08:18:15 am »
Huh? 

Who is confused?  My bees are a long way from Florida or Alaska.  In N/W Wisconsin our weather on average is MORE severe than Anchorage.

ALL BEEKEEPING IS LOCAL

I thought you told us just a few days ago that this place 'bored' you and that you were 'wasting' your time here.  Did you get over that? 

What changed?  Besides the insults  :roll:.  Nobody likes a "know it all" who knows little of what they speak. 

Are you looking for friends or making enemies?  What is your purpose here?

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2012, 08:24:37 am »

ALL BEEKEEPING IS LOCAL

Eccept professional

Before the border was closed, Floridan beekeepers moved their hives to Canadian canola fields.

Picture about local beekeeping

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2012, 08:35:15 am »
Boring

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2012, 08:38:53 am »
See ya, wouldn't want to be ya  :-D

Hey Fin;  lets make a deal. 

I'll go back to ignoring you and you can 'start' ignoring me.  How about it?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:53:30 am by T Beek »

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2012, 09:43:42 am »
You need a remote means of measuring the temp at different levels inside the cluster area and outside it without the measurement  process altering the readings i.e with the roof on.inside  the cluster to measure the activity of th ebees,  outside the cluster  to see the contribution of the hive. I'm moving from thermocouples to digital  temperature  acquisition system  that I have made  with typically 16 measurement point per hive but it could go as high as 8 per frame

A beekeeping college did this with a few inexpensive thermometers, the indoor out door kind with a cable and a sensor that he placed throughout the hive.
He could also determine where the bee mass was by the temperature readings. He didn't have to open the hive to take readings and disturb the bees.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #129 on: December 08, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »
T Beek is right.

I know of 3 commercial bee keepers around me and not a single one is a migratory bee keeper.  One guy has a huge honey house, wood shop, and storage barn that probably cost $150,000+ to build.  He gets around 32 tons of honey a year here in Michigan without moving hives.  That’s 29,000kg of honey.  How many kg is Finski getting?

As T Beek says, bee keeping is local, it depends a lot on your climate.  In Michigan we have something flowing all summer long and it is not required  to move hives around to get large yields.  Could we get even bigger yields by moving hives to monoculture fields every couple of weeks?  Maybe, but it is not necessary to be profitable in my area.  Moving hives requires more labor, gasoline, time, and money; one must balance that against potentially higher yields, pesticide exposure, loss of bees and CCD.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #130 on: December 08, 2012, 12:51:56 pm »
Edward, that is interesting.  There are some low cost instrumentation systems available here that allow you to record data onto a Flash Chip (SD card) and then download the data to your computer for display.  If I didn’t have some more pressing problems right now, I would give that a try first.  They come with about 8 channels you can hook thermistors onto to get temperature readings. 

That would work for getting readings around the cluster, but it might be difficult to stuff the thermistors down into the cluster.  What would really be neat would be a plastic frame/foundation with embedded thermistors over the face of the foundation!  Then you could get temperature readings and be able to accurately map them over the volume of the cluster.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #131 on: December 08, 2012, 01:06:57 pm »
T Beek is right.

I know of 3 commercial bee keepers around me and not a single one is a migratory bee keeper.  One guy has a huge honey house, wood shop, and storage barn that probably cost $150,000+ to build.  He gets around 32 tons of honey a year here in Michigan without moving hives.  That’s 29,000kg of honey.  How many kg is Finski getting?

As T Beek says, bee keeping is local, it depends a lot on your climate.  In Michigan we have something flowing all summer long and it is not required  to move hives around to get large yields.  Could we get even bigger yields by moving hives to monoculture fields every couple of weeks?  Maybe, but it is not necessary to be profitable in my area.  Moving hives requires more labor, gasoline, time, and money; one must balance that against potentially higher yields, pesticide exposure, loss of bees and CCD.

yes but your man is going for HONEY --it is possible to run static yards without migrating-most keepers that are migratory in the true sense of the word are POLLINATORS-they have to move to and with the crops-not everything blooms same time-almond -cheery-apricots -peach apple- pear and so it goes they follow the bloom----as far as
local pollinators filling the bill it simply wont work in the huge corporate monoculture of agriculture we have today-there is more to it than being self sustaining --we gota feed the world--its a double edge sword---RDY-B

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #132 on: December 08, 2012, 01:11:06 pm »
Good point Rdy-b and of course you are right too.  Finski seemed to be suggesting that commercial HONEY production depended upon migration and that is simply not the case in my area.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »
Beekeeping is global.

Biggest export producers 2009

http://www.planetexim.net/Export-Import-Data-Report/Honey.aspx

Beekeeping is local. Yes to ensure that  you bye colonies from Austaralia, you move colonies from Florida to Alaska.

"The packs for Washington are 3# an 4#. Price for 3# is 85.00, 4# for 95.00.  San Juan Island 100.00.

The Alaskan Packs are 5# We also have 4#'s.  Price for 4# 135.00.  Price for 5# 145.00.

All Packages come with mated Queens.

All payments are due when the bees are ordered.  Check, Cash and Credit Cards.

Make Alaska wildflover honey

Last year a 4 pound package was selling for between $130 and $145 depending on which supplier you ordered from.

We will be bringing in packages from our same supplier that we have used for many years.  John has consistently given us healthy 4 pound packages with great queens.  John has had to increase his price by $5 this year.  

If shipping structures stay the same as last year,  I would expect that our package price will be $135 for a 4 pound package,  We will be able to more accurately predict shipping rates in mid-January.

Once again, we will target the middle of April for the bee delivery dates.  We have scheduled the first load of bees to arrive on the 13th of April.  More bees will arrive on the 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th with the last load arriving on the 24th.

Bees are shipped over a 6 day period to minimize the risk of package loss.  Shipping by airfreight is always a challenge due to the limited space on cargo planes.  We reserve priority space well in advance to assure that our bees have as direct and quick transport as possible.  We have had good success shipping bees to Alaska.

Send us an email if you want to  order your bees for next spring.

A limited number of hived packages on new comb will be available for pickup in May!  Call us for details or check out our services page.

USA- BANNED THE IMPORTATION OF QUEENS AND BEE PACKAGES FROM AUSTRALIA

Saturday, 04 December 2010 20:44 Written by Analia Manriquez

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 01:39:15 pm by Finski »

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2012, 01:35:49 pm »
Good point Rdy-b and of course you are right too.  Finski seemed to be suggesting that commercial HONEY production depended upon migration and that is simply not the case in my area.

yes and i believe it is far more profitable for the honey producer to be local-better market price
 and less overhead -and we already know its better for the bees---happy bees are productive bees--RDY-B

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2012, 01:45:06 pm »
Fasten your seat belts when hobby beekeepers start to reorganize  world's beekeeping

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2012, 01:54:47 pm »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2012, 02:24:17 pm »
5 years ago it was common that top bar beekeepers saved the earth.

Now, local beekeepers are right. Global beeks are out.

What is next trend? Toy beekeeping is becoming more usual...

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #138 on: December 08, 2012, 03:14:47 pm »
**Now, local beekeepers are right. Global beeks are out.**

yes global beekeeping has ground to a halt-the onset of disease and pathogen
pre varoa is a thing of past-even interstate travel is more complicated than before

** What is next trend? Toy beekeeping is becoming more usual..**

out going toy trend-electric heat by light bulb--incoming trend insulated with heat shield for travel
through atmosphere for space shuttle discovery--RDY-B

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Space_Shuttle_(HRSI_tile).png/500px-Space_Shuttle_(HRSI_tile).png

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 03:45:37 pm by rdy-b »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2012, 04:02:52 pm »

out going through atmosphere for space shuttle discovery--RDY-B

How to get rid of from this level, - at first

Goldilocks and the three bears - Kids Stories - LearnEnglish Kids British Council

anything