Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Sugaring  (Read 2534 times)

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Bee Sugaring
« on: August 29, 2006, 10:16:59 am »
At the end of July I did  a 24 hour mite check (no powdered sugar treatment) and found 5 mites. On 8/21, I gave my bees a powdered sugar treatment , installed the SBB tray, and 24 hours later counted 55 mites. A week later, on 8/28, I did another count ( no further sugaring) and found another 50 mites.

My Question: I understand the sugaring will have an immediate effect of causing mite dropping, but does it also continue to act on them for some time?

Thanks, Ray

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Bee Sugaring
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:00:55 am »
5 mites in July, a sugar shake in August with 55 mites. That should tell you how fast the mites will build up.  a 10 fold increase in a month.  The Shake knocked off a bunch but a week later more brood had hatched (along with more mites).  The 50 mites a week after the shake shows you the amount of buildup was in the comb with the brood.  In order to continue a decrease in mites you should do a sugar shake 3 times about every 10 days.  If such a situation you will see a decrease in mite count.  If you were to go back out and do another mite count it will probably be above 60 due to continued hatching.  For Mites shake 3 times with sugar.  And then do it again after a month or so.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rayb

• House Bee
Bee Sugaring
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 08:56:42 am »
Thanks Brian, I now have a good use of my Labor Day weekend. I will sugar again and check the drop counts. Your info is appreciated.

Thanks, Ray.

anything