Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weather's effect on my bees  (Read 1821 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Weather's effect on my bees
« on: July 04, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »
I wanted to observe a little more before I posted. We've had some miserable bee days for the last couple of days. I removed the front entrance feeder about 48 hours ago. I don't know if it was the weather or the feeder but the activity level has bottomed out at my hive. About 20 to 30 minutes before dark I noticed a lot of pollen being brought into the hive. Compared to a few hours ago when no flying was going on. I went up and thumped the hive  :-X to make sure they were still there - and they were :yippiechick:

I was wondering do yall see this sort of behavior with this kind of weather. Around here today you never knew when it was going to rain. It rained off and on all day - not much but enough to make outside work postponed. I barbequed under the tractor shed. I also thought that removing the feeder may have had them have an all day meeting inside to reassign tasks.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
Re: Weather's effect on my bees
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:10 pm »
We have had miserable weather here too.  rain or looking like rain all day for multiple days.  Haven't seen much activity around the hives.  I need to get in and check the resources of my nuc and queen castle but it just hasn't been possible.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 02:47:15 am »
 The bees should be fine without the feeder.
We've just got done with a week and a half of rain up here. I peeked into the top supers yesterday and they've been quite busy. Several empty frames are being drawn out nicely and being filled with honey.

Offline kenthold

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 07:55:47 am »
I'm a little worried about mine also.  I installed 6 packages about the middle of may, (I know, kind of jumping in with both feet for a newbie) four of them are at my house.  I pulled the feeders on them about the middle of June.  It has been raining here off and on for about three weeks.  Everything is a mud hole seems like.  I checked my hives Monday and there was lots of brood but very little honey stored.  I'm not very experianced but it seemed like there was a fair amount of pollen stored.  They are really working a 1/4 acre of southern peas I have on my place, not sure if they can get much nectar off of something like that or not. I'm wondering if I should be feeding again.

Offline Just5398

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 11:17:05 am »
I was told to continue feeding new colonies.  They'll find what they need in nature and make up the balance from what you feed them.
Sally

anything