Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: So new we don't have bees yet!  (Read 2531 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
So new we don't have bees yet!
« on: January 23, 2006, 07:43:05 pm »
Hubby and I have just started bee school put on by the local beekeeper association in our area (southeastern Massachusetts).  At the first class he bought two packages of bees, to be delivered later on in the spring. We're going to keep them down here at our house in Massachusetts while we learn about beekeeping, then we're hoping to move some up to our home in southwestern Maine.  We're there every other weekend, if we get things set up right up there I think it's a workable plan.  Meanwhile, down here, we're also getting some chickens for eggs and manure for the garden.  I don't have a large lot here, just a bit more than 1/2 an acre, but it's open, flat, and full of gardens, so the bees will have lots to pollinate and gather from.

My mother is an herbalist, her home is surrounded with herbs, and my parents had bees for awhile (Dad really enjoyed them).  I still have some honey they gathered, the flavor is wonderful, like nothing else I've had.  I'm hoping our bees will make honey that tastes as good!  Up in Maine our home is surrounded by wild blueberries, that should be interesting tasting, too.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
So new we don't have bees yet!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 09:23:38 pm »
Great to have you join us! A few of us on here have chickens so come on down to the farming section and tell us about your or what you plan to get, bye! :D
Ryan Horn