Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My New Speaker Box Bees  (Read 2151 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
My New Speaker Box Bees
« on: June 12, 2009, 11:43:47 am »
Some of you know of the speaker box bees, the ones I picked up off a guy's patio table. The first colony lasted a while and then threw a swarm leaving them weak, giving shb opportunity to move in.

I never had the heart to evict them as its just too cool of a set up watching them come and go from the speaker.

Well, about three weeks ago or so, another swarm, from the south moved into the speaker. Very small bees.

I've always put my hand up to bees, playing with them but after meeting Alan Bukley, he's got me doing that a whole lot more!

Anyway, when you put your hand up to bees, they'll usually do a few things. One is ignore you, one is they run over, check you out and recede, another is they sting you, which of course ain't good at all!

Well the other day, I put my fingers up to bees on the woofer atop the speaker and had a new response which had me laughing hysterically!

This bee came at my fingers and tried biting them, would recede, then come at me again, biting at my fingers, snapping its mandibles like a dog playing, although clearly, the bee was not playing.

Anyway, just wanted to pass that along. I like this new colony. Gonna try and teach them to fetch next! :-D

Speaker box bees: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/April12200802#5188574244940342466

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
Re: My New Speaker Box Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 12:52:50 pm »
seems I remember some asking how many times you had been biten by the bees, now you can answer them  :-D

never seen a biting honey bee before, something new everyday.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 02:12:09 pm »
At least it didn't try to lift its leg on your finger  :-D.

She probably had a stronger will to live...not worth a sting.
Rick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:27:52 pm »
Perhaps these are just confused as to what they're supposed to be? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingless_bee

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Cheryl

• House Bee
  • top bar beekeeper
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 03:13:09 pm »
Biting bees!!! Hooray!! Maybe these bees will actually BITE varroa as they groom each other! :D ...a lot of us have been waiting for something like this.

[edit] I wonder what would happen if 'stingless' bees were artificially crossed with Apis mellifera.... the way scutellata was bred. Maybe it would be a whole new monster.
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 03:37:57 pm »
I remember your speaker box bees, JP. Pretty cool.

Offline Kurt

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 06:06:43 pm »
so what do they like to listen to? Are they headbanger bees or do they like classical or maybe disco? That fan dance they do has to be a Travolta move...

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 06:21:44 pm »
At least it didn't try to lift its leg on your finger  :-D.

That was very funny Ha Ha

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 11:08:05 am »
7am this morning my wife said you better go look at the speaker box bees, they're all over the place.

Orientation flights at 7am, they are a little strange this bunch, first they try to bite, now this. They may just swarm out one night, who knows?

...JP :shock:

anything