Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is this a later honey season for some?  (Read 5912 times)

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
  • March 2007 Rakkasah Festival
Is this a later honey season for some?
« on: June 13, 2007, 12:16:36 am »
Mine is later as compaired to years past...is this what everyone is seeing?
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: Is this a later honey season for some?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:15:35 am »
As for my main early season, mine came better and about 10 to 15 days sooner this year.
I think it all depends on where you are, how early of a spring you had, what kind of rain.
I get all my main crop  from the last week in March to mid June.
I had some drawn comb supers to start out with this year and a better than normal early flow.
I will take all I am going to take by the first of July.
Of course, I'm down here in Georgia. I know the futher north, the later the flow.
doak

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 07:58:30 am »
There were a lot of honey plants blooming and nothing coming in here.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 03:01:08 pm »
This is off the topic but Sandhya, you appear to be a bellydancer also. I have a friend who danced at that festival in 2006. Wow, a beekeeper and bellydancer!!!

Take care
Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 09:29:38 pm »
With a combination like that maybe she can immitate the bee dances.  A whole lot of shaken goin' on!
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 09:42:03 pm »
i have had stuff blooming like crazy.  bees are working like crazy.  i have NO honey even around the brood.  it's driving me nuts.  they are putting in 0 stores.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 12:42:45 pm »
i have had stuff blooming like crazy.  bees are working like crazy.  i have NO honey even around the brood.  it's driving me nuts.  they are putting in 0 stores.

Why is that??? Perhaps no nectar in the flowers??? Are they just peeking around those flowers??? 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 12:53:47 pm »
they are bringing stuff in.  i guess they are using it for brood rearing, but they are not building up as quickly as last year.  our weather has not been great.  it hasn't warmed up.  it's raining again today.  i'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2007, 05:42:30 pm »
I guess I don't feel as bad now that others are in the same boat. My hives started great and built fast but they have not stored much honey at all. I added the honey supers when the frames were 80% drawn and so far, after two weeks they have not done anything in the supers. Flowers are just starting to bloom here so maybe this next week will start something. I didn't expect much honey this first year but thought I would get something!

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2007, 05:57:29 pm »
My bees are pretty much just holding their own right now.  Lots of activity with bees going in and out, but the single super on top of each of my four double-deep hives are for the most part just sitting.  Very little progress in the past two weeks.  I've been wetting down the yard real well each day to make sure they have enough water available (we're in the 100's) and the populations are big, just very little coming in.  I'm wondering if I should give them some pollen patties too?

Offline sandhya

• New Bee
  • March 2007 Rakkasah Festival
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 06:07:55 pm »
This is off the topic but Sandhya, you appear to be a bellydancer also. I have a friend who danced at that festival in 2006. Wow, a beekeeper and bellydancer!!!

Take care
Annette
yea, that was the Rakkasah festival in Richmond in March...
what is your friends dance name and what day did she dance, The pictures are on the web of all the dancers they have pics of...sorry to have highjacked this topic.... :-X
Be Well,
Sandy "Sandhya"
I believe if we give of ourselves, we will live forever.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 07:09:10 pm »
check your messages. now we do not have to hijack this topic

annette

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »
   I was told this is about a month early for around here.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline BBHJ

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 08:59:48 am »
I think the main flow where I'm at is about to come around in a week or so. One of my hives have been filling up supers good IMO for the last 1 1/2 months. I have the 4th on the one hive & it should be full in a couple of days. I've been using a queen excluder on it also since adding the 2-4th supers. The hive has one deep brood box & its 10 frames. IDK but that seems pretty good mainly considering the VERY dry wheather we've had but also because I'm using 10 frame equip. & only 1 brood chamber. The supers are shallows though so this amount of honey could be "just o.k. or "normall" I dont know. Our other 5 hives in a different location didnt start making any surplus until last week. Only 2 of those 5 had their 1st supers full that have been on for a long time now and we added a second one. One hive still hadn't done anything in its 1st super!

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 09:28:16 am »
In Western MO there are a ton of honey plants blooming.  Like Michael was saying, its blooming but nothing coming in yet.  Maybe its just a building year here and we will see no honey.  I will have to order some queens here soon if the flow doesn't start and make a bunch of splits for next Spring.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 09:45:04 am »
I was expecting more from my bees this year but its not their fault. It has been too dry here. Its been raining a lot lately, but we really needed it when the flowers were blooming, even before that. The flowers were not juicy enough. I will get some honey but not what I was hoping for. Perhaps a fall flow.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 11:54:26 am »
In my limited experience, I think were having a great spring here in the northeast-mid atlantic areas. Rain had been frequent enough, and usually at nite as well. One hive has drawn and filled one deep, three mediums from scratch, and still 3 plus weeks of flow if years past are any indication. The other hive is up to 4 mediums, started w/ one drawn med. box.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 03:03:37 pm »
I have no previous seasons to compare, but the flow is definitely on here & now.  I have 10 new hives this year and the 4 nucs I started first have filled 2 deep, 10 frame brood chambers and are on to the supers.  One hive is on it's 2nd super while the first one is being capped.  The other 6 (one early package, 5 late nucs) are well on their way of filling both deep brood chambers.  When I inspected the various brood chamber frames I found many full of capped honey - they're surprisingly heavy (even though I read what to expect)!
I'll take some pics and start a new thread perhaps since a first year experience isn't so helpful or relevant to thread topic.

Offline tom

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2007, 01:08:40 am »
Howdy all it's been dry here but my two big hive are doing well my first hive is half way from filling it up and the top super is full and capped over my second hive has one super capped and half way on the second but they are not filling it up like my first hive.And we had rain day before yesterday and now i can smell sourwood in the air and when i walk on my deck thats all you can smell i do see some blooming and my girls are really busy in the mornings and late evenings but i am going to put a third super on my first hive tomarrow and see whats going to happen i would love to get some sourwood.

Tom

anything