Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapping permacomb?  (Read 3771 times)

Offline RangerBrad

• House Bee
Uncapping permacomb?
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:03:42 am »
What are some of the ways to uncap permacomb? If using a hackler honey punch which size do you use? Can you use a scratcher? Will either of these tools damage the permacomb? Anything yal can tell me is appreciated. I'm a newbee with alot of questions and I'm wanting to use permacomb for my honey supers. Thank's, Brad
If the only dog you can here in the hunt is yours, your probaly missing the best part of the chase.

Offline jdpro5010

• House Bee
Re: Uncapping permacomb?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:15:20 am »
I believe Bulleye Bill will be the local expert on that.  Try shooting him a PM.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 11:36:37 am »
You should not be any were near the permacomb, you just want to uncap the top wax from the frame!
"Experience is a great teacher" who said that ?

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 02:28:16 pm »
I bought a brand new wire brush and used it at first,then i changed from 10 to 9 frames in a super and did not have any more problems,cause they drew the comb out farther.hope that helps some
bill

Offline BULLSEYE BILL

• House Bee
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:29:14 am »
I use two different tools, a plastic pie server and a Hackler honey punch.  Any stiff plastic knife like utensil will work but one that is at least 6 inches long is best.

Even when when using nine frame spacing there will still be places on a high percentage of the frames that can not be cut off.  They are either at the surface or just below the plastic comb, that's why I use the honey punch.  The best size is the two inch roller and it works even better when you remove at least one of the spur wheels off the punch.  Removing one of the spur wheels allows the wheels to spread and fall into the row of cells.  There is no reason to heat the punch or rinse it off between frames.  The hard plastic will make the wheels turn even when sticky wet with a buildup of honey and wax.

I also suggest that before you use the combs that you trim the tabs off the bottoms of the frames.  It will make scraping the bottom of the frames much easier.