Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Top Bar Hive Materials  (Read 3145 times)

bigbearomaha

Top Bar Hive Materials
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:02:35 pm »
I have a question for those interested in top bar hives.  BTW, I am not trying to sell hives here.  I do hope to get some input from folks regarding buying them though.

I have an opportunity to 'recycle' wood into hives.  How well do you think they would be received?

I am thinking the people interested in being "green" might be very interested.

I would obviously "pretty them up" with a fresh coat of paint on the outside.

What do you think, is the interest in recycling a big enough motivation?

Big Bear

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Top Bar Hive Materials
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 09:55:24 am »
I'm sure there would be a market,  you just need to find it and market to it....   Like most things,  it is more about the marketing than the actual product.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 09:19:47 pm »
It might keep your cost basis down  :-D

Several of our hives are built from discarded old fence boards and they look fine.  In this part of the world (Pacific NW) those are often 3/4" thick cedar!  Usually have to cut off the bottom 18" because of rot but that leaves plenty of wood to build 2 sides of a medium Lang box or the top half of one side of a Top Bar hive (assuming you use 2 planks per side).  I doubt you could charge extra for having used recycled lumber but it may give you a larger profit margin, assuming the lumber is free or cheap and there is enough of it available to meet your needs.

SH

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 06:46:29 pm »
I've seen several places were people were inquiring about buying Warre hives.  You might consider that.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:42:15 pm »
Yep , I build Warre hives, KYTB's and Lang boxes.  so far, I have been using scrapwood to build my own use but the new white pine to build for others orders.

I build to order anyway, so I figure if someone wants to use 'recycled' wood, we can negotiate.

Big Bear

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 09:11:09 pm »
Some people say I have a bad attitude.   I say, screw them.

X:X Just noticed that.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.