Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Large Swarm April 4, 2009  (Read 4883 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Large Swarm April 4, 2009
« on: April 04, 2009, 08:10:59 pm »
This was a pretty good one, they barely squeezed into a deep. Brought them home and added a medium right quick as they were busting at the seams. Added a feeder and they were good to go.

The few pics at the end are from my beeyard. I did some hive management and cut the field, even though I would love for it to just grow up. Not my land so I do what I have to to keep the peace.

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/April42009?authkey=Gv1sRgCL_vkJzAvPbF4gE#

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Large Swarm April 4, 2009
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:14:55 pm »
you may be able to answer a question for me.  two of the swarms i got last year overwintered in a deep and medium.  it just worked out that way because of the time of the year.  now both are really stuffed and i need to give space.  i hate to put a deep on top of the medium, but i hate to break the brood nest and put a deep between.  suggestions?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:18:55 pm »
Kathy, I have been using a deep and a medium for my broodnests. The deep gives them room to expand and if they need extra space they use the next medium. All mediums from there out.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 10:50:05 pm »
Kathy, I have been using a deep and a medium for my broodnests. The deep gives them room to expand and if they need extra space they use the next medium. All mediums from there out.

...JP

I agree.  Getting a mid to late summer swarm built up to add and fill a medium is a pretty good feat.  If you insist on a 2 deep brood chamber I'd recommend waiting until you've extracted from a deep and then placing that between the medium and the deep.  The honey residue will draw the bees into the new deep and they will quickly turn it into another brood box.  It is then fairly likely the medium can be harvested about 3 weeks later.. but there are exceptions, a good one is that the queen turns out to want both deeps and the medium for the brood box...that's a booming hive.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 11:53:09 pm »
these were two large swarms from last year that built up enough for a deep and med, but not two deeps.  i am out of mediums, so they are getting a deep on top.  one might be a good candidate for a split later....

thank
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 12:10:33 am »
Once the deep is filled, it can be placed in the middle and the medium on top without any problem. It could be done now if you were past your cold nights.

Nice swarm, JP
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 12:26:13 am »
Great photos once again. I never tire of them JP and am always in awe. AWE!!!

Gosh hope I get at least one good swarm call this year. Something I can actually manage on my own.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:30:16 am »
I'm hoping for you to get you one, but isn't that great, you and Ray going to deal with those two?

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 12:37:42 am »
I'm hoping for you to get you one, but isn't that great, you and Ray going to deal with those two?

...JP

I hope it all goes well. I appreciate Ray taking this on as he has his hands full lately with helping many beekeepers and catching swarms, etc.

Will let you know how it goes.

Offline catfishbill

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 11:12:50 pm »
holy smokes JP that is a huge swarm!it looked like it had a mind of its own.glad yo got'em.with that many bees it will split time soon.   bill

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2009, 11:54:26 pm »
JP Swarm King!  That is a bunch-o-bees!!  Your beeyard looks very nice, lots of space!  I too hope to get at least one this year.  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 12:52:01 am »
JP, nice swarm.  Loved to see that picture of your beeyard that goes on, and on, and on....just like that eveready bunny, smiling.  Love to see your swarm and cut out pictures, always look forward to viewing them, beauty.  Have that wonderful day, life, health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:56:00 am »
Cindi, that's my friend's place, he owns 13 acres. Its a long narrow rectangle. Our place is in Mississippi, gonna put some bees there soon, maybe even this weekend.

...JP

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:14:47 am »
quick update.  i pulled that hive apart none to soon.  the deep was stuffed and i found swarm cells.  the med. was all honey.  put a deep of drawn comb on the 1st deep with honey on top.  took the swarm cell frames and gave them to a queenless hive.  hope i caught them in time.  this is a great hive!  the other with the same set up looks not so good.  found only drone brood in there. gave them a frame of brood, but might have to shake them out when the weather is good again.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:59:40 am »
Oh Kathy, wonderful.  But I wonder if you should have given some frames empty so that the bees would be able to work something.  With drawn comb, they don't have to work really hard.  I recall topics where keeping the bees busy drawing wax is also a great swarm prevention thing.   Maybe you should take some frames that are not drawn and put in there along with the drawn foundation.  You will hear comments.  Good going!!!!  Have that wonderful and awesome life, day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:14:37 am »
didn't have any empty ready to go.  worked on that yesterday.  shot another 20 frames for that cutout this weekend and so that i have spares.  :-)

Offline Scott Derrick

• Expert Bee Handler
  • New Bee
  • Go Gamecocks!!
    • Honeybee Removal Expert Serving South Carolina, Charlotte NC and Augusta GA
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2009, 08:06:23 pm »
Love those big ole FAT FATTIES. Nice one JP. I'm still looking for the record this year. So far it's about 6 pounds. I'd love to find one that's about 8 to 10 lbs. Kinda like trolling for Striper or Large Mouth!
My Bee Removal Photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/109455718186385256142
My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rsderrick

"You're born. You suffer. You die. Fortunately, there's a loophole."
                                              Billy Graham

anything