Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Possible Chalk Brood Problem  (Read 14191 times)

Offline gsferg

• House Bee
    • http://www.sweettimeapiary.com
Possible Chalk Brood Problem
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2005, 07:53:11 am »
I think, in a "normal" year here in Maine (what ever that is) that the conditions that contribute to chalkbrood are short-lived but our springs can be cold and wet, and that can be a factor. Perhaps some insulated boxes would be helpful at times.

I was wondering last night if I was a bit premature in hiving that weak nuc yesterday, but it just looked so much more healthy with lots of capped and uncapped brood and honey stores than when I put it in the 4 frame nuc, they had no room to expand at all! In 4-5 days they'd be boiling out of there- I figured it was time.

Michael Bush told me I'd be "pleasantly surprised" at how well they did in a small NUC. He was right.

George-
"So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2005, 05:36:33 pm »
I've noticed Finsky shares my view of small boxes for small clusters.  Mabye that's because we both live in a colder climate.

Glad it worked out.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2005, 05:28:12 pm »
Quote from: gsferg

I was wondering last night if I was a bit premature in hiving that weak nuc yesterday, but it just looked so much more healthy with lots of capped and uncapped brood and honey stores than when I put it in the 4 frame nuc, they had no room to expand at all! In 4-5 days they'd be boiling out of there- I figured it was time.
George-

For little nuc the room is better to be flexible. If you devide Langstroth box with middle wall, you have 5 frame space, When brood emerge out, just move wall and give them foundations one or two. When it is summer, they do not store honey but they spend it for building. Little nuc is very eager to build foundations if queen needs them. In cold hive it is difficult to build wax. But bees make wild hives in strange places.

anything