Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apiguard for Varroa  (Read 5083 times)

Offline Jeff L

• House Bee
Apiguard for Varroa
« on: September 05, 2006, 10:57:29 pm »
Has anyone tried this product? Any opinions? My bee friend will make me some essential oil patties when he returns from vacation, but thought I'd try Apiguard until then. Thank you.

J.

Offline patrickp

• New Bee
Apiguard for Varroa
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 11:05:19 pm »
I've heard a little about it from the local beek group and from the state apiculturist, Phil Craft.  They all had great things to say.  Phil even says to switch to Apiguard and use nothing else.  Haven't tried it yet myself.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Apiguard for Varroa
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2006, 12:53:53 am »
I personally think that laboratory derived checmical treatments are poisoning the bees and the result is infertile (drone laying) queens, exceptionally high supercedure rates on purchased queens (whether bought solo or in packages), etc.  I concentrate on natural solutions and treatments.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jeff L

• House Bee
OK Brian
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2006, 02:03:08 am »
What would you do if you had one hive only, and this hive had definite signs of a Varroa infestation? Is a cutout and getting stronger, but have no access to a bee suit, and these girls don't like it when I get closer than 5 feet. Just want to treat the top super and have no way to do a sugar treatment without one. But can do something different when it's dark without a suit. As in Apiguard or something similar. Isn't Apiguard organic btw? Or semi-organic? It comes from Thyme, a plant that is used as a seasoning. Can you elaborate as to what you would do with one hive only?? Thank you!!
J.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Apiguard for Varroa
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 07:43:04 am »
>What would you do if you had one hive only, and this hive had definite signs of a Varroa infestation?

I would cut all the drone cells out now.  I would treat with Oxalic acid vapor once a week for three weeks.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno1800

• House Bee
    • http://www.huntingtonquarterly.com/Issue30/renaissance.html
Apiguard for Varroa
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2006, 11:19:40 am »
I have used it for the first time this year. Can't quantify the results for you yet, but I will tell you that it is very easy to use. The foil pack has a loose corner that is simple to remove even with gloves on. You place it in the hive and, within a week, the bees have removed it. The vapors contain the essential oil of thyme which has been shown to cause great damage to varroa. Hope this helps!

Offline ian michael davison

• House Bee
Apiguard for Varroa
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2006, 05:22:35 pm »
Hi all

Iv'e used it for a couple of seasons and it does what it says on the tin. :shock:

Try this
http://www.vita-europe.com/Map_enscript/frmbuilder.php?dateiname=%2Fen%2Ffaq.htm

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Apiguard for Varroa
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 09:22:15 pm »
Michael...   Would you treat with Oxalic Acid vapor if there is no apparent signs of Varroa..?

Could you explain the treatment for those of us who haven't done it before......thanks.

Brian....  What natural treatments are there for us to use that have proven to be effective on Varroa - Trecheal ( sp..? ) and or SHBs..?  We don't treat anything unless we see a problem do we or are we treating to be pro-active...?  thanks.

Steve SC

Offline denart

• New Bee
Cheap bee suit
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 10:39:02 pm »
Hello Jeff

Before I decided what kind of bee suit I wanted......
I bought a pair of tyvek painters coveralls.....Lowes
What is called an Alexander viel.......Dandant
A pair of brown jersy gloves, and cheap diposable vynl gloves...Wal-Mart

very inexpensive
A really decient bee suit cost about $80.00 or so, I have one now, but most times I throw on the tyvek outfit and get busy with the bees.

sooner or later you are going to have to go into your hive.
the tyvek works very well, I just got out of mine.....but what ever you get, be ready to sweat A LOT

Dennis
Make a plan...BUT....Don't plan the outcome
Life is life and it ain't half bad if you dont fight it

Offline denart

• New Bee
One more thing Jeff
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 10:41:59 pm »
Rubber bands around the wrist ( cuffs ) of the tyvek is a must !!!!
Dennis
Make a plan...BUT....Don't plan the outcome
Life is life and it ain't half bad if you dont fight it

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Apiguard for Varroa
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 11:56:35 pm »
>>Brian.... What natural treatments are there for us to use that have proven to be effective on Varroa - Trecheal ( sp..? ) and or SHBs..? We don't treat anything unless we see a problem do we or are we treating to be pro-active...? thanks

Sugar shakes and Oxalic acid are 2.  If you want to know if you have a varroa mite problem use the sugar shake.  the results will be almost immediate with the mites falling to the bottom board.  If you get more 20 or 30 that means on the next round of brood hatch the infestation will increase by approx half and so on.  
If a sugar shake shows you have mites then you can either treat with Oxalic acid or do a series of 3 sugar shakes spaced 10 days apart.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Jeff L

• House Bee
denart
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2006, 12:28:37 am »
Thanks for the reply. Do know Tyvek coveralls. I use them when we blow down our rice drying facility. Man, they are hot arent they? They work great though. We just duct tape the sleeves and cuffs.
 Thanks to all for the Apiguard replies!  I bought two tins and have the first one in. Figure since this is the time to treat for Varroa, I should whether I know they are there or not . It definitely smells 'herbal' when I  get close to this hive.
 Also, Michael and Brian, thanks for your info, but don't know a Drone cell from any other cell at this rookie point, and am not 'suited' to do a sugar shake at this point. Just hope the Apiguard works.

J.