Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: left Apistan strips in hive  (Read 3260 times)

Offline tonkavette

• New Bee
left Apistan strips in hive
« on: April 06, 2006, 02:05:31 am »
I left the Apistan strips in all winter. It is spring now and I have taken the strips out of hive. The bees are doing well. I have a super on top of the two hive bodies. What can I do with the honey that is left in the super. I know it is comtaminated, and must come off before I can put new honey supers on for the spring flow. Can this honey be used for anything, or do I cut it out and dispose of the honey. I know I shouldn't have left the strips in, as the bees will build up a tolerance towards the strips. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 02:32:43 am »
Take off that extra food and room from hive. Leave 2 full frame for food.
During spring you follow the colony and give more food frames when they need. This way spring build up is better.

What you have left when honey flow start put in store. When honey summer is over, extract all honey away and give that old honey for their autumn consumtion. Then for winter you feed hive full of sugar syrup.

You may make a nuc and give that old honey there for food.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: left Apistan strips in hive
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 06:22:43 am »
Quote from: tonkavette
I left the Apistan strips in all winter. It is spring now and I have taken the strips out of hive. The bees are doing well. I have a super on top of the two hive bodies. What can I do with the honey that is left in the super. I know it is comtaminated, and must come off before I can put new honey supers on for the spring flow. Can this honey be used for anything, or do I cut it out and dispose of the honey. I know I shouldn't have left the strips in, as the bees will build up a tolerance towards the strips. Any help would be appreciated.

Or you could do as probably many do; Not worry about it and sell the honey. As in all things there are some that would not let an apistan strip keep them from doing that I'm sure. Although personally, I have not used Apistan or any other chemicals except Sucrocide and confectionary sugar, so far. I am going to use the latest verroa treatement that is now available, Api-life var or the thymol patties EPA approved???

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 09:24:56 am »
Just curious.  Why did you leave them in all winter?  It is a very bad idea almost guarenteed to give you Apistan resitant mites and contaminated wax.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2006, 01:20:45 am »
>Or you could do as probably many do; Not worry about it and sell the honey

I suppose it is true that some do sell honey like that, and it's likely it would actually not cause anyone harm, but I still would not and I hope you don't either, tonkavette.

Finsky gave some good advice, IMO. I think it can be safely fed back to the bees after extracting.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 02:46:11 am »
I am sure that no one will be hurt if you mix apistan spicy honey to people but I suppose that bad feeling you have done wrong is not worth of one honey box.

anything